Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying budget subwoofers for mobile DJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

I've heard the Thomann cabs and for general DJ work they would be fine, excellent warranty and return policy, no choice in my opinion.
The Box stuff coming with a 3yr warranty for a box and driver isn't really a swing point as boxes are either blown due to silly DJs over powering them or box boys dropping them.. neither of which the warranty will be useful for 
Fair point bud, but if you get a dodgy new unit there will be no arguing with Thomann, some others are not so good at accepting responsibility.
khards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 7:35pm
Well, I cheaped out and went for a pair of "B grade" (returned ?) The Box DSP 18's for €656. About the best I can afford for a regular wedding DJ going out at between £200 to £400 a gig!
They have a 30 day return policy, which I get the pleasure of returning (and paying postage) if they turn out to be crap. 
I was comparing the spec's to the Wharfedale LX-18B's I used to have. 

Those Wharfedale LX-18B where great speakers IMO. Shame I sold them all off a few years ago and went active. Would be tempted at the Wharfedale Delta 18BA if budget allowed http://www.wharfedalepro.com/product-detail.php?pid=75
In fact the Wharfedales look good value at £639, but then again 'the box' came in at half that.
I guess you get you get what you pay for. However saying that the 'the box' PA502A's at £250 are far better than the Alto 215's

Edited by khards - 12 October 2018 at 7:45pm
khards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2018 at 7:04pm
the box pro DSP 18 Sub arrived today. I'm really impressed with them, much better than other speakers I have had in this price bracket. Can really handle some power - yet to gig them.

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:53pm
Images not showing up here - looks like a missing .com in all the url's

Edited by DMorison - 19 October 2018 at 1:54pm
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Images not showing up here - looks like a missing .com in all the url's

Yep.  These URLs will get you the pics:

Think I got all of them LOL

Edited by BJtheDJ - 19 October 2018 at 2:13pm
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
khards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2018 at 12:02pm
I uploaded them to my 'blog' in the end :-)

- https://keithhards.co.uk/the-box-pro-dsp-18-sub/">https://keithhards.co.uk/the-box-pro-dsp-18-sub/

I gigged them for the first time last night. Really happy with them!
It was a fairly small function room, but the subs sounded great. For the weight of 35kg net I recokn they have to be the best value vs weight vs power speaker out there at the moment. Nice to see a ply cabinet to keep the weight down.

BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 4:25pm
<deleted>

Edited by BJtheDJ - 29 October 2018 at 4:25pm
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 9:16pm
JBL Mpro MP418S are nice. Duraresin finish, ply cabs, look good and stay looking good (if they get scuffed just blow some satin black paint over them). JBL 2241G driver- same high end sub driver as used in the SRX range but 4r so will make plenty of noise even off something small and cheap like a behringer EP2500. 29kg weight so alright as a one man lift. not easy to find though.
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 5:59am
Since when can you blatantly flog your rock in General???Tongue 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12