Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying old amps - good idea?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying old amps - good idea?
    Posted: 07 March 2021 at 8:41am
Hi guys, I am putting together my first soundsystem on a really tight budget. 
It is time to buy the amplifiers and I don't know if I should buy cheap new amps or, old second hand amps that are probably a lot better built.

First of all my system consists of 2 15 inch paraflex subs, with some cheap thomann drivers - rated at 500 watts RMS if that can be trusted. 
My mid-tops are 15+8+1 speakers, the 15 inch is again rated at 500w or so. 

Originally the plan was to buy 2x t.amp tsa 4-300 as I read in a german magazine these reused parts from the more expensive model 4-1300 (same power supply) and actually had a better output than advertised. 
At a 8 ohm these by specs are supposed to put out 375W at most per channel, which is less than what the speakers are rated for but as far as I understand doubling the power only increases loudness by 3db, and 10db is what we perceive as twice as loud, so underpowering them by 25% of what they are rated for will not really make much of a difference.
Additionally it would make setting limiters a lot easier as I just need to make sure the amp is not clipping and there is no chance of me driving the speakers too hard.

Pros for these new amps:
3 year warranty by thomann
Very light
Supposedly actually perform better than their specs

In terms of second hand amps, I can buy 3x crest audio vs1500 for the same price as the 2 t.amps

Pros for old amps:
Built like tanks, despite being old
2 ohm stable
May perform better

Cons:
a few times heavier and bulkier
rated at around the same power output, but I would have 3 amps with 2 channels, vs 2 with 4 channels each with the t.amps
So 2 channels less if I need them

Any advice is welcome

Edited by shashnatiq - 07 March 2021 at 9:54am
jjpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 10:50am
I used to own two crest v1500 and two vs1100 good, solid amps. Used the two v1500's on sub duty at 4 ohm bridged for years. This may be senior moment but from what i remember, air intake enters at the front and exits via the sides so you need a flight case that gives plenty of circulation at the side of the amps.

john
The music is only to loud when it's distorted!!!
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 2:35pm
If you know someone with oldschool amp fixing skills and access to parts then get older amps. If you don't know anyone to fix them when they go pop get thomann or behringer NX range with as much warranty on them as possible.

Some parts for some amps are now becoming hard to get hold of. You might buy a nice crest amp and find the output stages are no longer in production etc...

You'll prob do best with some modern H/D class budgets to be honest. If it's just you're fist venture you can upgrade fast enough and you wont break the bank or your back.
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
 Post Reply Post Reply