Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C Audio SRX3701 amp on a genny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigzagwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C Audio SRX3701 amp on a genny
    Posted: 27 July 2021 at 3:25pm
Hi all
1st time poster although Ive been reading up lots on speaker plans the last few months.

After a couple of years messing about with some cheap behringer PA for small outdoor partys,
me and a pal want to get a bit more serious and have started slowly building a small sound to play reggae and I'm looking to buy an amp to power 2 x fane 18XB loaded super scoops.
Most of the time this will be running off a genny and so far we have been using a basic Honda 3kva genny with a couple of Behringer EP2500 amps with no problems.
Other than the above I have no knowledge or experience with PA related stuff , but as much as id like the practicality of light weight amps my gut feeling is older heavy weight amps as opposed to light weight switch mode amps will potentially fare better running on this genny.
Am I right thinking this ?
I'm looking at a C audio SRX3701 at the moment , anyone got opinions how this would cope on a basic non inverter Honda genny
This is a relatively cheap amp which is appealing at the moment as we still need to buy other drivers , more ply , more cables etc etc ,
but if its not going to be up to the job I'd rather spend a bit more or look for somthing else 

Ultimately i suspect we may need a bigger better genny but at the moment thats not really an option !

teeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2021 at 8:47am
yeah, i'm also interested in this and just posted a thread myself.

we're asking the same Q i think:
how does one calculate what size genny is needed?

Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2021 at 3:54pm
Any big heavy torroidial amp stands a much better chance of surviving small gennys IMO. I’d avoid SMPS unless on big diesel gensets.

I’ve ran bigger amps on 3kva gennys. Most of the time using gennys you will find that even if sufficient power is not available you will be able to use the amps but they will just not be able to draw the correct power. It’s taboo here to say as most will recommend going with double your wanted kva.

My last event was a 3kva Clarke generator powering a proline 3000, 2 EP2500 and a qsc 1450. Set up was 2 Court Acoustic 2x15 Wbins, HD215 and 2 2x15 tops and a monitor (as well as decks, lights etc.). Surprisingly managed to keep it at a constant running for over 12 hours. I can send some videos if needing an idea on type of levels we reached? But to my ears we achieved the same levels as when running off mains 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2021 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by zigzagwanderer zigzagwanderer wrote:

Other than the above I have no knowledge or experience with PA related stuff , but as much as id like the practicality of light weight amps my gut feeling is older heavy weight amps as opposed to light weight switch mode amps will potentially fare better running on this genny.
Am I right thinking this ?

That isn't my experience. The problem with old school linear amplifiers is they are power hogs. They typically waste just as much power generating heat as they produce in audio output which means you need twich as much AC supply as a class D of the same output. So while a big boat anchor amp may deal with wonky generator power better(not shutdown) you're going to need a bigger generator to run it. 
The solution IMO is don't accept wonky generator power... the Honda isn't in that category, and buy better quality modern amplifiers not cheap things. 

Edited by Conanski - 18 October 2021 at 7:36pm
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:29am
Originally posted by Esc4pe Esc4pe wrote:

Any big heavy torroidial amp stands a much better chance of surviving small gennys IMO.

Most of the time using gennys you will find that even if sufficient power is not available you will be able to use the amps but they will just not be able to draw the correct power.

Yes that makes sense, with a non AVR petrol genny and torroidal amps, if it's too much load for the genny, the rail voltage drops, and the amps will clip a bit sooner.

If the Genny starts chugging on bass notes, just turn the volume down a bit, but be careful with Diesel sets because they won't warn you like this. 

Also can use a plug in power meter (watt meter) to see what your amps are actually drawing, about a tenner on Amazon. 

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 19 October 2021 at 6:39am
zigzagwanderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigzagwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Sonic the hedge Sonic the hedge wrote:

Yes that makes sense, with a non AVR petrol genny and torroidal amps, if it's too much load for the genny, the rail voltage drops, and the amps will clip a bit sooner.

If the Genny starts chugging on bass notes, just turn the volume down a bit, but be careful with Diesel sets because they won't warn you like this. 

Also can use a plug in power meter (watt meter) to see what your amps are actually drawing, about a tenner on Amazon. 

I had noticed sometimes the amps seem to start to clip sooner but was never 100% sure if that was just my imagination  
At first I was trying to preserve power by running the bare minimum from the genny , but since reading on here I use a few lights and periferal bits to help smooth the load and that seems to help alot.

Just bought one of those plug in power meters , for a tenner it will be an interesting experiment !

Edited by zigzagwanderer - 19 October 2021 at 11:01am
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 11:28am
What lights do you use for a constant load out of curiosity? I have to work in scenarios with minimum amounts of power available and so the lights I need to use for this would benefit as being decorative too so I can keep the amount of power sockets down. Any ideas?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 11:28am
Use a very large pinch of salt with those meters. I haven’t seen one yet that gives a true RMS reading.

Even then, the real measurement to look at is VA, not wattage.

There’s a lot of myth or misunderstanding when t comes to generator usage, but a huge part of that simply seems to be a lack of real-world assessment of amplifier power draw.

I’d put good money on a majority of people claiming all sorts of craziness with generator usage down to the simple fact the “6000 watt amp” is actually using a tiny fraction of that for most of the content played. The problem is when that "lived experience" becomes 'fact' in the users' mind, and then things are pushed harder next time - or worse, the generator is allowed to run out of fuel or doesn't get serviced for a long time.

This is especially true when the stack is large compared to the generator used…

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigzagwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 12:48pm

What lights do you use for a constant load out of curiosity? I have to work in scenarios with minimum amounts of power available and so the lights I need to use for this would benefit as being decorative too so I can keep the amount of power sockets down. Any ideas?

It was nothing special , My eyes are not what they used to be and i'm starting to struggle to see properly when digging in record boxes with a torch etc so we have a few extra lights around the dj area , I simply switched these from LED to old school halogen or tungsten lamps ,

This is all outdoors off grid , so else where for decoration and so people can find there way about we use a variety of cheap led lights 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigzagwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Use a very large pinch of salt with those meters. I haven’t seen one yet that gives a true RMS reading.

Even then, the real measurement to look at is VA, not wattage.

I will keep that in mind , even an approximate real world figure would be quite interesting to me though 
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 2:58pm

Something resistive e.g. filament lamps or bar heaters. Beware that most all LED lights are SMPS so are not a reisitive load, also flashing lights of any kind are not a constant load...

The purpose of this is to put a base load on the genny, because as Toasty points out, amplifiers playing music present a very small load to the genny most of the time, and it's not good for the engine to run at idle load for extended periods, or step from 0% to 100% load when the bass drops... 

It doesn't however 'correct' the power factor of the amps, so still need to watch your total peak load isn't excessive, for the VA rating of the genny.

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 19 October 2021 at 3:09pm
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 3:56pm
Unfortunately bar heater for freeparties won’t be too great haha! Maybe I could use filament lamp for a light to keep the decks visible. Would NON LED UV lamps have the same resistive load?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic