Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cab Identification Please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cab Identification Please
    Posted: 20 June 2021 at 4:59pm
Hiya guys,

Came into possession of two of these cabs the other day and would like to identify them if possible. They definitely look like production cabs rather than DIY cabs, they have a bit on the front where you could tell there used to be grilles / foams and seem well made although I could not find any branding anywhere, they are loaded with 2x 12" PD neo's in each so aren't cheaply loaded, they seem to be high bass freq, so 'kick' cabs, reminded me of the Turbo Aspect cabs. Need a bit of refurbishment but they sound great!

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

Edited by Requiem - 20 June 2021 at 5:00pm
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 5:02am
Interesting, cant clearly make out the design principle from these photos alone, is it a TH of some kind? A rear loaded horn where the front of the driver is slotloaded back into the horn path near the aperture?

What is their operating bandwidth? (if you have managed to figure this out).

I don't think they are aspect cabs, I do not recall a box of this kind in that line.
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 9:38am
I think that Mr Baggy Trousers may have done something like this in his distant past and obviously if they are some of his designs then they will be the BEST design in the world.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 11:06am
Definitely not a tapped horn. The patent for those (and the text book examples of precursors from the turn of the 20th century) are fairly clear on the requirements for that alignment.

It’s always hard to tell without seeing the profile but I’d suggest a band pass horn style loading, with a slot port cut either for an attempt to counter the limits of the very short horn or to provide cooling to the coil. Possibly aiming at the former but more achieving the latter.

That and the age or past life aside, I don’t see much that says branded build. Looks more of a DIY effort that’s used sensible handles and grille mounting? The connector plate is more of an indicator for that in my experience. The lack of castors or wheel board mount on a box that’s looking to be pretty heavy is another one.

It’s far too smoothly curved and lacking in angular bracing for a Flare box.

I presume it has access panels top and bottom? Pop them off, unload a driver, and get your pencils out to sketch dimensions and profile.
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 4:24am
Yeah apologies the pictures weren't very clear, was hoping someone would recognise them straight up!

Dont think they are a TH, BPH at first glance although I havn't had a good look at them

Seemed well built/professionally CNC'd to me when I looked them over, the pictures dont really do them justice (they look to have had a hard life), they've got rubber feet, evidence of having foams, recessed handles, shiny PD neo's inside which is why I thought they were production cabs and yeah although they dont have castors they are quite small which could explain that, one person could move them with a bit of effort

Seemed to produce upper bass well, around 60-160 but I only played with them for a few minutes

Would look quite nice with a refurb, just want to know if its worth my time!

Will get them apart and draw up a sketch next week im out of town at the moment, I havnt had the backs off, I just spotted the PD's through a missing handle

Cheers for help will post in here next week
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 10:51am
Eeeh where do you guys see a slot port? I see two slots for two drivers. No ports anywhere.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 12:52pm
I'm 99.9% sure that the flare panels reach all the way to the back wall of the cab, but there's a very slight chance that there's some kind of gap there.
The lighting in these photo's is just marginal enough that i'd have to admit that 0.1% chance of that being what the "tapped" comments are about.
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 2:02pm
Thats what I thought i saw, but if there is no gap in there then this means it's some form of short flh, would be interesting to see a profile sketch.
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 2:15pm
With my (albeit old) eyes, there seems to be small gap between the end of the inner flares and the back panel? About an inch? Or is it just shadow? Would make more sense with the gap. Geek
Be seeing you.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 3:07pm
In picture 4 I think I can see cable coming through the flare and across to the other driver. If there was a gap, surely it would go through the gap.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

In picture 4 I think I can see cable coming through the flare and across to the other driver. If there was a gap, surely it would go through the gap.

+1 on that.
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 6:03pm
If you look at the second pic left box. It looks like there is a central horizontal rib that splits the ports to the rear of the drivers. I think they are ported horns. Also diy by virtue of the lazy routing of the speaker cables.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>