Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cab rebuild.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAUNGAHIFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cab rebuild.
    Posted: 23 March 2019 at 3:44am
I have recently run into a couple speakers  for basically free. Typical house party 12''/1" 2 way PA speakers.

I have tested them they run fine etc. BUT...

They Ugly AF!

I would like to know, in straight forward terms, what sort of steps would need to be taken to build some newer- nicer looking  plywood cabinets for them.

the only info i have about them at the moment is:
Brand: Digitech 
400 Watts program 
250 Watts continuous (real) @ 8ohms 
Two parallel Speakon NL4 jacks for input and through connection 
Stand and pole-mountable or flyable 
Neodymium high-frequency driver 

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2019 at 4:09am
You just need to build a cab with the same internal volume and port dimensions that is it, it can be any shape.
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2019 at 7:26am
width of cabinet front should stay approx. same, to make sure same baffle step compensation from the crossover netwerk can be applied. 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2019 at 12:21pm
Are the drivers any good? Do you know what brand they are?

Building a cab takes time and effort. I wouldn't be putting that time in to building something then putting some crap Chinese knockoff drivers in it. 

Sell them, put the money towards some decent drivers. Even second hand. Then build some cabs yourself that fit your needs and look great

My 2p worth. 
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2019 at 2:22pm
if you want good low-end/bass response, go for high quality driver suitable for reflex, FS around 50Hz and decent Xmax. My advice for port area is 1/2 of speaker SD (cone area) for maximum efficiency / minimun port compression.

Edited by Tonskulus - 23 March 2019 at 2:22pm
MAUNGAHIFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAUNGAHIFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2019 at 12:53am
how can i calculate the correct volume?

they are currently in like a typical plastic housing with handles etc.

I'm having trouble finding the TS paramaters for them ( i think this is what i need to calculate the correct dimensions in something like winISD ) 
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2019 at 10:14am
I had this with a cab i replaced (a wharfedale force 9).

I siliconed up all the fixings and holes, laid it on its back and filled it with water, 5 litres at go, then a litre at a time. Didn't really take long.  

I was ditching the cab so didn't mind it getting covered in silicone. If you aren't,  you could try blue tack or tape. 
MAUNGAHIFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAUNGAHIFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2019 at 10:45am
Haha, wow- i was not expecting that. But that makes total sense. I'll keep that in mind.

Post Reply Post Reply