Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can G-SUBs do techno???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can G-SUBs do techno???
    Posted: 27 March 2010 at 7:55pm
hell yeah...

last night ran four Fane collosus XB loaded G-SUBs with two MT-122s (fane collosus 12MB's and quad peavey XT22s) and it sounded absolutely incredible. A lot of the honours have to go to my choice of amplifiers though with two XP5Ks driving the bins, an older toroidal XP2K driving the 12's and a UKP500 doing top duties... crossover on the Gsubs to the MT-122s was 130Hz and it rocked without a shadow of a doubt.

With other amps I have used I would never drive the G-SUBS so high for techno but with the amazing cone control that the XP5Ks deliver it was incredible.

Also the XP5Ks were flashing merrily all night at 3 o'clock on the volumes... the XP2K and UKP500 barely flickered. The MT-122's are also just purely amazing... (Thanks to Robbo and Ed - men@work) but tbh for this kind of music and to be able to push the tops, more subs are needed (good job I have another pair)....

Anyway just thought I would provide a little feedback...

I feel a storm is brewing...
torch1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torch1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 11:47am
We had a similar experince a couple of months ago. Amongst other things we have 4 reflex bins which are basically tweeked half G-subs. We never really gave them the time of day until we mated them with an xp5000 and we all stood back looking shocked LOL
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:26pm
The double 18" box really is a workhorse and can basically be used for any genre of music. Loaded with good drivers and tuned correctly they can be about as good as it gets.

Tony
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

The double 18" box really is a workhorse and can basically be used for any genre of music. Loaded with good drivers and tuned correctly they can be about as good as it gets.

^this.
I love a reflex 18..   :)
Bosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 10:53pm
I agree on reflex 18's being superb all rounders. Gotta disagree with the xp5k thing though. I had one running mine for a bit and was pretty underwhelmed. Got a pkn xd4000 powering them now and the difference is staggering!
Reflex to the rescue!
Stray-Sounds View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray-Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 11:02pm
I used 2x xb-gsubs and x1 xp5k with 4 x 12'' horn tops crossed at 120 on the weekend for dubstep and dnb in a pretty small venue. it sounded lovely! nice subby rumble!

<a href="http://www.soundhirewales.co.uk/">PA & Lighting - Sound Hire Wales</a>

Stray-Sounds View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray-Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 11:03pm
oh and they sounded nicer higher up than they did on the xp3k

<a href="http://www.soundhirewales.co.uk/">PA & Lighting - Sound Hire Wales</a>

soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 5:03pm
I can't say much about G subs, never found them outstanding, but also never heard them with the right drivers in.

I've used my own design 18" reflex for techno and they can sound awesome with the right drivers tuning and amps. (as already said). Those who say 18" are are no good for techno have heard the poor ones, (or poor music) and taken this to apply to all.

I've gone a step further and sold my HD15's and now using the same mentioned reflexes as 'kick bins' with Hogs on sub duty.......
how's that for a house/techno rig? - fairly outrageous, and very satisfying.
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 11:43am
Can't wait to hear the new Hogs, Dan.
Your 18 reflexs are fierce on sub. Can't imagine them on Kick Duty hahaha!
(-35Db Earplugs on standby...)
:-)
bass traffic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Strange Daze Strange Daze wrote:

(-35Db Earplugs on standby...)
My lack of something like that is the reason I never went to valve sound system last time they were in newcastle!
Can't produce music if you can't hear it!
LionsPaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionsPaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 11:58am
I normally run a gsub for kick above 2 rhinos for roots and dub with good results. However we have a night coming up with a tech-house and techno dj playing. 
Is there a way to increase the punch in the kick from the gsub when playing stuff like this? Thinking along the lines of changing the crossover points or maybe a bit of eq?
Normal set up is
rhino 35-80
gsub 80-180
MT121's 180+
this setup works well for us in dub but i know nothing about techno.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 12:59pm
I never really get the idea of using double 18s as a kick box. Sure they can do it, but hey.. they can do the sub too. So why the need? G-sub-alike box can go lower then the rino for sure with the right drivers inside.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>