Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

can i put X12 bits in a bass cab?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhizocarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: can i put X12 bits in a bass cab?
    Posted: 27 August 2008 at 12:23pm
i've got 6 reflex bass cabs which are sort of 700mm³. 4 of them contain PD1850's and 2 are empty.

i'm quite happy with the 4 loaded bass cabs so i was just gonna make two X12's to go with them. the question is could i just load the guts of an X12 into the empty bass cabs and still get a decent sound? it shouldn't really matter too much for mid-top should it?

i just think 6 identical cabs would look cool and it would save building new cabs.
How far can a dog run into the woods?
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 1:06pm
you'll need to make sure the volume of air behind the 12" driver and the port tuning are the same as in the x12
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 3:30pm
Correct me if I am mistaken -

You can't load your 12" SN12MB/C12-300MBs into the bass cabs as they won't fit (aren't they 18s?)

The reponse will be vastly different, due to the different volumes and tunings as darkmatter said

And I wouldn't put a midbass driver like the ones in the X12 plan in a low tuned cab anyway, it would die.

I advise you to build three X12s and buy two 18s. But leave off building the third X12 and buying the 18s till you have enough cash, two X12s is your priority.

About your current 1850s - they are really really unsuited to reflex cabs, there are cheaper drivers that will sound better.

'It shouldn't matter for mid top anyway'
I'll pretend you didn't say that ShockedLOL. The critical range of human hearing is covered by the midtops.
Away on extended leave.
rhizocarp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhizocarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 6:05pm
well...you're slightly mistaken...the cabs would obviously need new baffles in order to mount two 12"s and a horn 'cause at the minute there's just a PD1850 sized hole in each.

when i said "it shouldn't matter for mid-top anyway" i was meaning that mid range drivers are less affected by damping than bass drivers and the fact that the cabs are massive for the drivers means there should be minimal damping effect anyway...i could even just seal the boxes

i was tempted to use all 6 cabs as subs but there's no way i'd fit them all in my van along with 3 X12's

nobody seems to like the fact that i have PD1850's in reflex cabs but this box design is the one recommended by PD...and the whole lot only cost £200 so...
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 6:17pm
Damping has nothing whatsoever to do with this matter. I'm really not sure what you are talking about there.

Simulate the X12 in winisd in it's rightly sized box, then plug in your reflex sub. I guarantee 100% that you will not like it. Look at the xmax plots, and others. Then plug in the same numbers for a sealed box that size and look at the efficiency. It is more effort than it is worth.

Even if the box design is recommended by PD, I still believe that 1850s are overpriced if you're using them in reflex boxes (But for that price!!! You lucky person). The box design is just parameter dependent and tells you nothing on how the driver itself sounds.

I would cut up the reflex subs and turn them into tops, or build new ones from scratch. If you really want matching boxes, there is the possibility of building the X12s into the current boxes (just make a box in a box), or you could redesign the X12 to have an equivalent frontal area.
Away on extended leave.
rhizocarp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhizocarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 6:39pm
cool thanks, like you said, i got the drivers for next to nothing and they actually do sound quite good so i'm saving time and money by leaving them as they are for now.

i was toying with the box in box idea so i'll keep you updated on what happens
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 1:22pm
CVA put 1850's in a reflex. They are not tuned for sub but make a very nice noise in fours for dance (IMO). PD do as you say reccoment the reflex box which is I believe the CVA design. The big problem with the CVA cabs is no bracing, easily cured.
It's everything, not everythink!
rhizocarp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhizocarp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 3:02pm
yeah they actually are CVASOUND cabs.

the tuning means they can go fairly high so i'm hoping they'll mate with some X12's without any extra 'kick' bins inbetween.
 Post Reply Post Reply