Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can i use an 30 hz speaker with 20hz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can i use an 30 hz speaker with 20hz
    Posted: 03 March 2019 at 11:02am
my question is the title(Can i use an 30 hz speaker with 20hz)
Can i put an 20 hz signal into an 30 hz speake, without doing any damage?

Thanks in regards.Smile
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:01pm
You can put any frequency you like (even DC Smile) into a speaker - and it will try to reproduce that frequency, but whether you actually hear anything is the point!

And do you mean a speaker with a 30Hz resonance - or a cabinet that has been tuned to 30Hz? That will be very different.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

You can put any frequency you like (even DC Smile) into a speaker - and it will try to reproduce that frequency, but whether you actually hear anything is the point!

And do you mean a speaker with a 30Hz resonance - or a cabinet that has been tuned to 30Hz? That will be very different.

I mean a frequency range of 30-200hz.

Thanks Smile
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:10pm
I presume a cabinet then.

If it has been designed for a (minimum) low of 30Hz, it could lose control of the cone below 30Hz and so damage the speaker. Better not to risk it.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:13pm

I presume a cabinet then.

If it has been designed for a (minimum) low of 30Hz, it could lose control of the cone below 30Hz and so damage the speaker. Better not to risk it.

It’s not a cabinet it’s just a stand alone speaker. I meant frequency response. But thanks

Edited by Visti - 03 March 2019 at 1:14pm
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:22pm
from the specs on that link

Resonant Frequency: 46 Hz 

that rather suggests a general purpose bass speaker rather than something monsterous in the lowest octaves
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

from the specs on that link

Resonant Frequency: 46 Hz 

that rather suggests a general purpose bass speaker rather than something monsterous in the lowest octaves

It has something called frequency response: 30-200hz so my queywas if I could give it under 30 hz
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:30pm
Ok, understand.

Then you will have to design your cabinet to use that speaker at 20Hz - not simple.

And looking at the response curve, the o/p drops from around 95dB @ 100Hz, to 75dB @ 20Hz. That means needing a lot more power at the lower frequencies, which will most probably kill the speaker. Best to stick with the recommended frequency range given.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:32pm

Ok, understand.

Then you will have to design your cabinet to use that speaker at 20Hz - not simple.

And looking at the response curve, the o/p drops from around 95dB @ 100Hz, to 75dB @ 20Hz. That means needing a lot more power at the lower frequencies, which will most probably kill the speaker. Best to stick with the recommended frequency range given.

Thank you very much, helped a lot Wink
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:33pm
what do you actually want to do with it?

if you expect that speaker to produce 20hz at any serious volume you are going to be disappointed

The specs on that site give no idea of xmax which is usually helpful in getting down low 

it also doesnt tell you if that 30hz is at -3db, -10db or even worse - Id take it with a pinch of salt were I you

for home use, if you put it in an a small sealed box (which would push the resonance up significantly) then added a huge amount of eq it would probably be pretty reasonable.
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:36pm
I’m making a speaker for party’s. just starting with the sub and then moving my way up to the higher tones.
And the speaker I got p audio recommend from someone else on this foru.

Edited by Visti - 03 March 2019 at 1:38pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 1:49pm
I actually like the P-Audio stuff. I have loads of 18´s, 12´s and 2" drivers in my system. They are very tough & reliable. I don´t think that I´ve actually blown any, which is quite amazing. But then I don´t use them outside the recommended frequency ranges!  Smile

I´m sure that speaker will be fine for your parties - just don´t expect 20Hz from it!

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>