Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Carlsbro Gamma 15/400 Advice Needed Cab Vibration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carlsbro Gamma 15/400 Advice Needed Cab Vibration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carlsbro Gamma 15/400 Advice Needed Cab Vibration
    Posted: 04 October 2022 at 9:55pm
I've picked up a pair Carlsbro plastic moulded powered 15" and unfortunately the cabinet is flexing, vibrating badly, mostly the top part along the seam, 1 is much worse than the other. Any advice on how to fix this? Apart from, strip the parts and use them as plant pots.

The cabinets themselves are pretty tight via the main structure screws, with no severe bounce cracks etc. I'm thinking a very long screwdriver to take the main shell in half and some form of sealant might help. I haven't opened the shell yet (just removed the drivers). I'll need to buy a longer screwdriver (these are quite far in) but didn't want to waste anymore cash if it's going to be a fail. 

Any advice appreciated. Thank you
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2022 at 10:41pm
Don’t know about the speakers but save yourself on the extra long screwdriver and get a pack of hex driver extension bars.

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 04 October 2022 at 10:41pm
mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2022 at 12:48am
Awesome idea. I didn't know about those, that's exactly what I need. Thank you
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2022 at 7:40am
Stick the driver bit on the back of an old speaker magnet or something to magnetise it so it sticks as you pull out the screw

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 05 October 2022 at 8:14am
blah blah blah blah blah......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2022 at 9:25pm
I think the rod I bought is magnetised but I bought 1 of those flexy ones in the same bundle too, not sure that is... so I will try this, I didn't know that worked.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2022 at 9:23pm
Update on this!

A new extension bar has arrived (although a bit bent) and the cab screws were loose. Tightening them up has improved the issue and got 1 cab back to good. Unfortunately, the cab that was the worst still has an issue. Knocking coming from what seems like behind the tweeter, noticeable during those minimal kick bass sections and filtering. So tweeter out (which does mean splitting the cab again, the tweeter doesn't unscrew like other designs) and sure enough, give it a shake, and it's a nice little rattle toy, strange as it does still work.

I'm uploading a little video featuring the tweeter if anyone can identify it for me. 

It looks like the glue has failed as it does rotate on its self but not in a screw off manner. I'm guessing the coil has come off the diaphragm, dome part thing.

Any thoughts and input appreciated.  

Edited by mitchiemasha - 04 November 2022 at 12:23pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2022 at 9:44pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2022 at 2:30am
Originally posted by mitchiemasha mitchiemasha wrote:

I'm guessing the coil has come off the diaphragm, dome part thing.
Why guess... take it apart and find out. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2022 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Originally posted by mitchiemasha mitchiemasha wrote:

I'm guessing the coil has come off the diaphragm, dome part thing.
Why guess... take it apart and find out. 

It doesn't want to come further apart without damaging it. I'm going to get a bit more destructive next time I'm working on the speaker. I was hoping for a bit more insight here first.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 3:51pm
Update. The rattle was the part that sits in the throat. The back plastic part does pop off quite easily to reveal the inner dome. A few more screws on the dome and it should just come off but the coil was jammed on one side. The glue mentioned earlier had failed and the back metal part on the magnet (also the part that forms the inner most side of the voice coil gap) had shifted. This means a jammed voice coil which wasn't far enough forward, leaving a bigger gap for the throat part to rattle about between the inside of the dome and the the throat.

Edited by mitchiemasha - 27 October 2022 at 3:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply