Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C-Audio Pulse 2x1100 - identifying mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haschatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2021 at 11:08pm
Hello All,

Sorry for hijacking the post.
I recently bought a C-Audio 4x300.
It did have already the inductor mod done.
I have changed the resistors on the four amps from 75ohm to 100ohm, i have ordered the 0.0047µF capacitors, and it already had the proper IGBTs and driver transistors for the IGBT.
The only mod who will be left is the pulse transformer. I am wondering if it is difficult to wind it up or if i should not hesitate to make it? i have never wound a transformer.
What are the risks if i leave the old pulse transformer?

And while i am here, the IGBT are the old NGTG50N60. How long do the IGBT last? While the board is off, i could change the IGBTs if needed.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Regards.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2021 at 11:43pm
Speak to SimonP (see previous posts) for a ready wound transformer.  Otherwise I think I have a few of his transformers around.  I used to wind them myself, then Simon got a batch done and saved me the effort.
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2021 at 4:25am
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2021 at 10:08am
Quote How long do the IGBT last?

They aren't a wearing part, just leave them be.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Haschatan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haschatan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2021 at 5:08pm
Thanks a lot for your answers guys.

My C-audio 4x300 is going to be ready for many years now Smile
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2021 at 6:05pm
You're not after any more Pulses are you? 😉
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2021 at 10:13pm
Speaking of which,

@ceharden,

What are the values of those two bodged yellow caps ? 0,0047uF/100V ? Nothing 'bout them in service bulletins. Ermm

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2021 at 12:01pm
It's a good question.  To be honest due to the lack of full information it's not a mod I've ever done.  They appear to be Miller caps across the transistors doing the Vbe clamping (current limit) so I'm assuming they are there to reduce the sensitivity of the current limit to high frequency signals.
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2021 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

It's a good question.  To be honest due to the lack of full information it's not a mod I've ever done.  They appear to be Miller caps across the transistors doing the Vbe clamping (current limit) so I'm assuming they are there to reduce the sensitivity of the current limit to high frequency signals.

Thumbs Up Yes i think this is correct & this mod came out just after Crown took over the C-Audio brand & used it in the XS series etc. I also do this mod on any C-Audio Pulses i get in for service / upgrade. Clap

Edited by simonp1100 - 07 August 2021 at 12:19pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2021 at 8:08pm
the later crown-badged pulses (silver face) have the caps built into the pcb
Kevin

North Staffordshire

M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2021 at 10:08pm
Guys, your conclusions about the caps were right. I've found the Crown's XS schematics with all mods included.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123