Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CDJ800 mk1 issues with stereo imaging. Mono?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CDJ800 mk1 issues with stereo imaging. Mono?!
    Posted: 10 September 2017 at 11:43am
I recently did a remix of an unreleased jungle track I really like as I was lucky enough to find all the samples, have a listen here.

https://soundcloud.com/charlycharlysays/da-maytrix-winter-revival-charly-says-rmx

I got a mate in bristol to master it for me as mastering is really not my thing. I like all the sampling and programming but trying to get it to sound "good" just ruins the fun for me. Should probably go on a course or something.

Anyway.... I tried to record a mix yesterday using my CDJ800 mk1s.

When I play it on my CDJs certain samples in the track are definitely out of phase. Namely the piano and some of the vocals. They sound thin and weak and dull.

If I plug my old phillips Hifi CD player into the same mixer with the same RCA cable, it sounds fine... like the soundcloud stream.

Additionally, if I unplug either the left or the right RCA from the CDJ800, the mix suddenly sounds normal (albeit at less volume!).

Both CDJs are doing this too.

On all other playback devices which I've used- car CD player, Mp3 player, hifi etc it plays fine.

Here's the interesting thing-
I loaded this tune into cubase and tried to merge it into a mono track, and was able to exactly recreate the issue I'm hearing with the CDJs.

So I can only assume that 1. the engineer has used some clever stereo imaging on certain stems in my tune and 2. The CDJ800 mk1s are merging stereo tracks to mono by default for some weird reason- both of them.

Is this a fault?! It's definitely really frustrating as I was looking forward to DJing with this track!!

Any thoughts much appreciated, feel like I'm going mad lol.

Edited by charlysays - 10 September 2017 at 11:45am
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:30pm
what mixer are you using? If the o/p from the cdj sounds ok with either left or right only, any cancellation must be happening between the phono leads and your ears, since the cdjs output stereo and should make it through the mixer and amplifier into the air.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 9:36pm
Does it also sound as bad when you cue that channel and listen in headphones?
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

what mixer are you using? If the o/p from the cdj sounds ok with either left or right only, any cancellation must be happening between the phono leads and your ears, since the cdjs output stereo and should make it through the mixer and amplifier into the air.

It's a vestax pcv 003 bedroom mixer type thing.
If I plug a hifi cd player in place of the cdjs it sounds fine!
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by freddymendez freddymendez wrote:

Does it also sound as bad when you cue that channel and listen in headphones?

Yes it does
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 8:21am
i had that mixer and the metal contacts that surround the RCA socket tended to "go missing" very easily, is this the case with yours?
 Post Reply Post Reply