Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Celestion mysterious folded horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celestion mysterious folded horns
    Posted: 12 May 2018 at 12:28pm
hi guys I recently got my hands on an old Celestion cxi11 bin off a friend knowing that the driver was blown. I opened it up and looked at the driver and can't figure out what driver was in it . It's has a fairly worn away serial number that I honestly can't read . All I know is that it's a 600wrms LF driverwith the Celestion stamp on it . I think that the company changed hands shortly after production of these bins and there isn't much on the net about this line of speakers. If anyone has one of these bins or just happens to know what drivers are in them please let me know so I can replace it with one or something similar . I also hope to build more of these bins as they seem to be a nice compact 18 inch folded horn (smaller than my mates 1850's) 
Music is nice..
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 2:12pm
post a pic of the driver it might help id it
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by krazyneil krazyneil wrote:

post a pic of the driver it might help id it
...and the rest of the cab... let's all have a butcher's

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
alglw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alglw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:52pm
Cxi 1811 sub was loaded with ftr18-4080F.
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:54am
yeah that was what I suspected but in that case I must not have the same  driver I there . I got the cab from a person I vaguely know via a friend so I dont know the full story . I'll post some images for anyone interested and maybe some designs if I get round to figuring out the dimensions within  the cab
Music is nice..
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:55am
the driver I have looks way different 
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 1:00am
Music is nice..
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:23am
Celestion B18-300
It's everything, not everythink!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:29am
I own a few old B 18 inch in addition to BX 18 inch woofers and, the frame you posted does not resemble any of them. The plate keeping the magnet in place looks more to wards an FTR series when Celestion began making their speakers in China.

Most Celestion 18 inch drivers offered a QTS of 0.2 - 0.3 and an fs of 32 Hz - 30 Hz so, if you are looking for a similar driver, focus on those two TS Parameters for candidates.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 13 May 2018 at 11:37am
Elliot Thompson
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:35pm
Moderately customised variant of the Frontline F18-40?

Basket seems to match, so does the magnet/vent although this version is less refined, and it has spade terminals rather than binding posts.

Does it look like this on the other side?

Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 2:20pm
Well I was basing that on the fact it looked like a 3" coil in the pic?  What size is it?

Has terminals so probably before Frontline, were Frontlines 3"? 

B18 400 had bigger magnet
It's everything, not everythink!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 2:33pm
Spade terminals doesn't say anything about age - sometimes a manufacturer will produce a stripped back version of a retail driver for their ready made boxes to cut costs where aesthetics are unimportant.

Basket and magnet/vent shape are too similar for coincidence IMO and add to that these are the old version of the FTR driver (in some stores the model numbers seem interchangeable) and I'd say it's a safe bet that's the driver model. 
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>