Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Celestion mysterious folded horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:41pm
is the Frontline not a 1200W driver though ? Unless your man put that driver in. The original bin was released as being 600watts
Music is nice..
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:49pm
i was thinking I might go for this driver . Fair price and I reckon it should get the job done http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUIMFHP18B&browsemode=category
Music is nice..
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:40am
edit: driver suggested isn't suitable

Edited by Pinyorouk - 14 May 2018 at 1:05am
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:22am
ah **** how come

Edited by oren - 14 May 2018 at 1:23am
Music is nice..
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:52am
A folded horn is always rated lower than the driver's rating. A 600w rating is about right for a 1200w driver - that will be rated 1200w in a HUGE (500-1000 litres) vented box or an open baffle, or even free air. Closed box rear chamber + horn path is very demanding on thermal limits.

600w is optimistic even. It may also be related to excursion limits.

Edited by Hemisphere - 14 May 2018 at 7:17am
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:23am
Just go with the specified driver imo if you can get it. 

ftr18-4080F is what the bin was designed for (according to at least one user posting here, presumably from experience), and the one it's currently loaded with looks close enough to the old version of the same driver, so the new version should be an improvement.

Can't seem to find it at retail in the UK though.. One at djmania.es for 251 euro.

That said I think you could probably get away with the P Audio driver if saving 100 quid makes a big difference to you. It's not exactly a match - QTS is off and the cone is a lot heavier. BL and xmax are greater. It'll work in a horn and make some noise. 

It's just one bin right, and I presume you're not thinking of getting more and loading them with P Audio drivers LOL Chances are any new ones you acquire will be loaded with working FTR18-4080F or functional equivalent, so by loading it with a less than optimal driver you're compromising your potential to expand.

Edited by Hemisphere - 14 May 2018 at 7:36am
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:43am
So is the driver 4" coil?   4080f (these are single suspension) was in NJD 600w bins and some Logics.
It's everything, not everythink!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:53am
https://www.hwaudio.co.uk/Product/Celestion-Frontline-18-F1840-p23296

Celestion Frontline F1840 (with picture showing the FTR - not sure if that's an error or if they're actually selling the new driver, but it doesn't matter). 177 quid with free shipping. 
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:54am
Hey, why not send the driver to Roy, RMJ-Recones and get it back in the cab?
It's everything, not everythink!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Can't seem to find it at retail in the UK though.. One at djmania.es for 251 euro.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/celestion-ftr184080f-600w-rms-8ohm-18-woofer-speaker-p-106.html
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:33am
I searched Lean-Business and no results came up! I was using the wrong browser by mistake though and it has Yahoo as the default search for some reason. It seems whenever I accidentally use Bing or Yahoo to search for anything I get reminded of how useless they are.
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:48am
Yeah I get what you are saying. Well I got the cab for 50 euro and there was only one available . As a fan of bass heavy music if given the chance I would love to own a huge rig , but if I was to get more bins for a full rig i'd probably try to build one of rog's designs or one of Mark.O's (love the mhb-46 design) and pay more for drivers. This is just something I want for gatherings and when I am DJing , I play hardcore techno  so I just need something to give me real bass that I can feel. I understand the dynamics of the driver to cab relationship but I'm not gonna spend 250 quid for a box I paid 50 for.  I mean unless if there really is going to be a huge difference with it I might just try it for the fun . At some point when I am no longer trying to get driving, be responsible(ish) and do whatever I'm supposed to be at 19 I will look into proper gear . I mean as a DJ it could just be an option as a cheap monitor . That said do you think that the difference is too great between the specs of the said drivers ?
Music is nice..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>