Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Celestion mysterious folded horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:50am
bing is like using a broken lighter in the wind
Music is nice..
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:52am
yeah 4inch
Music is nice..
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:30pm
When you can get the original driver for 177 why buy a cheaper alternative for 146.50? That doesn't make sense to me.

Load it with the proper driver and you'll add at least 30 quid to the resale value. Just because you won't be using it as part of a larger system with matching bins doesn't mean the person who eventually buys it off you won't be. Also if you hang on to the blown driver you can include that free when you sell it.

For what it's worth I think Pinyourok is wrong to say the P Audio driver won't work in this bin, unless he can explain why he thinks it won't. If you sim both drivers in a similar FLH enclosure, the difference in frequency response is +/-1dB, excursion and group delay performance almost the same. 

There may be some performance/tonality issues relating to the non-matching specs I mentioned, but no show-stoppers. I just don't think the 30 quid saving is worth not loading it with the right driver in any case.

Edited by Hemisphere - 14 May 2018 at 12:54pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by oren oren wrote:

Yeah I get what you are saying. Well I got the cab for 50 euro and there was only one available . As a fan of bass heavy music if given the chance I would love to own a huge rig , but if I was to get more bins for a full rig i'd probably try to build one of rog's designs or one of Mark.O's (love the mhb-46 design) and pay more for drivers. This is just something I want for gatherings and when I am DJing , I play hardcore techno  so I just need something to give me real bass that I can feel. I understand the dynamics of the driver to cab relationship but I'm not gonna spend 250 quid for a box I paid 50 for.  I mean unless if there really is going to be a huge difference with it I might just try it for the fun . At some point when I am no longer trying to get driving, be responsible(ish) and do whatever I'm supposed to be at 19 I will look into proper gear . I mean as a DJ it could just be an option as a cheap monitor . That said do you think that the difference is too great between the specs of the said drivers ?

Then a 100 quid re-cone is the answer?
It's everything, not everythink!
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:43pm
the driver looks like the damp has gotten to it, it has rust specs on it and the cone looks weird . I've manually moved the driver up and down. Sounds fine exept when it goes upwards it make a very slight click . Not sure if become would be worth it . Had a good look  a few photos or the ftr driver . Specs seem the most logical when compared to the rest of the Celestion drivers but  it definitely does not look the same . Im guessing they just don't directly sell the original driver anymore . I've emailed Celestion and I will see if they get back to me . If not I will get a different driver and see how it goes :) . Cheers anyway lads . I will get my friend who makes boxes  to have a look at the inside of the box some stage and will give you guys the plans if you all want .

Edited by oren - 14 May 2018 at 5:45pm
Music is nice..
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:58pm
You should ask hw-audio if their drivers are as described or as pictured also. If they're as described then they should be a match.

I managed to find the T/S parameters of the F1840 btw, and they're very different from the FTR18-4080F and the P Audio driver you were looking at.

Company: Celestion International Ltd.
Model: F1840
Available = No
Last update: 11-mars-2002
Type: Standard one-way driver
Comment: Frontline sound reinforcement series
Shape: Round
Piston Type: Cone
Frame: Diecast aluminum chassis.
Voice Coil: 4 inch diameter voice coil.
Terminals: Top-quality push terminals.
Magnet: 110 oz magnet.
Fs =  30, Hz
Qms =  3,94
Vas =  347,2 liters
Xmax =  3,25 mm
Qes =  0,26
Re =  5,8 ohms
Z =  8, ohms
Pe =  600, watts
Qts =  0,24
1-W SPL =  99, dB

Xmax is low even with Celestion's method of rating. Probably not more than 6.5mm total.

There was a variant of this driver called the F2-1840, that might be what you have. Can't find the T/S parameters for it, but sensitivity, magnet size, voicecoil and resonant frequency are all the same.

Edited by Hemisphere - 14 May 2018 at 6:08pm
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:00pm
true . A bit misleading that ad listing lol . Here's a video showing the cab and driver if you wanthttps://youtu.be/q7VL_kW1rZw
Music is nice..
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:35pm
You might be right about the P Audio driver tbh - if the original driver's xmax is so low you'll get a lot more output out of it with 9.5mm xmax (after adding magnetic gap depth/4) which is more than worth it.

Assuming headroom is a priority which I'm guessing it will be if you're running a single front loaded horn for bass.

Edited by Hemisphere - 14 May 2018 at 6:37pm
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:58pm
who knows man haha.  Either way not everyone gets it right the first time . I'll give it a shot n see wat happens .  Other than that has speaker plans sorted out a Facebook page yet or is that still in the works ?
Music is nice..
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:05pm
I don't know. I don't think so. Speakerplans isn't exactly an up and coming web service :P last news on the front page posted in 2006.
oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:25pm
god when you say it like that thought haha . This site and horn plans (French forum and plan site) seem to be the best websites 
 For sound related stuff 
Music is nice..
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:34pm
i would be sad if this moved to facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>