Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cerwin vega

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cerwin vega
    Posted: 16 January 2007 at 12:31pm
do any of you guys have the cerwin vega earthquake design, i really need them and what driver do you prescribe for it, and do you think it can match the yokville ls 1208 stride for stride.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 2:15pm
Which Cerwin Vega Earthquake design? The old B36 one? If so the plan is below. You would have to ask someone alse on what driver to use in there, I'm not 100% sure. But I recon PD186 would do fine.

http://zmatek.jinak.cz/diy/pbaudio/earthquakeB36/Earthquake%20B36%20Baskast.doc

I know nothing about the Yorkville LS1208 so can't help you on that.

Apart from the old Cerwin Vega design,the new ones sound pretty crap. And you would be much better off making a few 186 or 1850 horns,with the recommended drivers they suggest in the plans.

Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2007 at 2:46pm
Rather go for a 186
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 5:05am
I have a couple of Cerwin Vega 13 layer Plywood Earthquake bins for sale fitted with original 189E proper earthquake drivers on wheels for £450 the pair---need a good rub down and a few coats of Aldcrofts but they are a bargain.
DJ Coupé View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Coupé Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 1:58pm
Ive got some old vega bins sl36je so there similar to the earthquake design me thinks. Ive not really ran em' up properly yet as im refurbing em. but when i have they are loaded with fane and sound sweet as there big cabs and fane colossus 18xb like to breathe.
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2007 at 5:28pm
I'm new here!
I've got one of the new AB-36 - the 'Afterburner,' and it's better than the earthquake, and much more so than the junior earthquake. I've heard them all back to back, and just don't like the smaller ones. All of them do have some strange compression noise up-close, and I have a feeling you could get better results from a home built one.
As far as I can advise you, the earthquake is not an amazing design to model after - and its really big.

edit: I meant ab-36, not ab-26...

Edited by bitcore - 01 March 2007 at 1:03pm
heinrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heinrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 8:00pm
hi bitcore,

do you plans on AB-36?
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2007 at 7:03pm
No, unfortunately, I do not.
The cerwin vega site does have a cad drawing of what appears to me, the earthquake (el-36) and afterburner (ab-36), they share the same cabinet, with the only difference between the two being the driver and the aluminum "heatsink" access panel. (The afterburner sounds much better than the earthquake, and WAY better than the junior)
I do not have a lot of listening time to other horn subs, primarily because I haven't made any yet, so I honestly can't really recommend alternatives. Many people are having loads of fun with a set of punishers, and I am dieing to build one of those boxes for myself - I'm eager to try out a P.Audio SD-12 in one.

The afterburner definitely does well down to 30 hz, and I've read here that the punishers would do a better job with the slightly higher end (the AB gets a little muddy above 50-60 hz) and anything above ~100 hz is not so hot with the punisher and useless from the afterburner.
I would love to try a couple of afterburners, and four punishers. Run the afterburner from ~29-50 hz and the punishers from around 45-(80-91) ...or whatever I can match up for a kick bin.
I think I've heard that matching horn loaded bass bins is way more difficult than simply crossing them correctly, I obviously need to use some sort of delay compensation because of the horn path lengths, but I don't know if there are any other difficulties in using multiple types of bass horns together.
Bob@DAE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob@DAE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 6:37am
 Hi,There is also this version of the earthquake.
>>> http://www.iven.nl/pdf/ontwerpen/CERWINVEGAL48.pdf
I'm planning to build 4 oh these. With RCF L18S800.

Edited by Bob@DAE - 01 March 2007 at 6:53am
hektik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hektik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2007 at 11:50am

B36 PLAN .......IS THAT ANY GOOD 

Edited by hektik - 01 March 2007 at 11:52am
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2007 at 10:18am
hmm interesting, I thought I had a pair of B36s (based on what it says on the back plate) but they are 900 and something mm deep (so as deep as they are tall) and don't have a horizontal brace in the mouth. They are loaded with 4 ohm drivers - 189je's if I remember correctly. Anyone know anything usefull about them? I'm thinking about reloading them, so any advice on that appreciated too. Thanks.

Just had another look at them, one has a 189-es 8 ohm driver in it and a sticker added to the back plate reading L36JE. They are 920 x 920 x 61 externally

Edited by imageoven - 29 March 2007 at 3:38am
step_m_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote step_m_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2007 at 12:24pm
Have a go at this plan, it took me a while to find, dimensions in inches

www.unrec.com/sunsonic/l36.gif

I have been reading the hornresp guide and trying to model this plan with a pd186, but with poor results.

Would anybody like to have a go at modeling it, i'm sure it will sound nice with the right driver, rear chamber seems large though
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>