Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chameleon 2000d's running bass?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuivenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chameleon 2000d's running bass?
    Posted: 12 July 2007 at 2:21pm
Hi all,
         Just looking for some advice! I have 2 chameleon 2000d amps, that i am going to clean up service and repair. I plan to bridge both into 4 ohms to run two stacks of 2 x fane collosus 15xb bass bins(plans on the fane website). I was wondering if people had any opinions on these amps for bass applications?
cheers
kieran
help!!!!!!!!!!
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 4:33pm

I can remember them being very handy if you played in a freezing cold hall....everyone would be gathered around them rubbing their hands

sorry thats all I can help you with.

cuivenion View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuivenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 4:36pm
Anyone else?
help!!!!!!!!!!
Lyndon A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 8:53pm
One mod I've done to our 2000D is make the fan run at full speed all the time.  True, its a bit noisy but the rig drowns that out!

Inside ours was a transistor glued to the base of the chassis, I just removed that and linked the fans up to the low voltage supply.  The Transistor is used to limit the current, and so limit fan speed.

btw, could you take a look at what fuse you have fitted at the back, near the mains socket.  Cheers!
FSV Sounds
cuivenion View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuivenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 1:27am
Will do, been busy recently, i'll look at the amp fuse over the next day or so, what do your think about the cab/amp plan in general, do reckon the chameleons will handle it?
help!!!!!!!!!!
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 12:45pm

I used to run the 2000 and 3000 and I think 3600's.

Only ever run the 2000d on mids and if you went really silly with the voulme it was possible to blow some output transistors. The same was also true of the bigger amps too.

The main problem I had was with all the internal wiring. I had some early ones and all the cabling was on samll plastic edge type connectors. All the amps I ran in installs were fine, but when you started moving them around some would stop working. In the end I had to solder all the internal wiring to the PCB. This stoped the probelm. I think the later ones used better connectors as when I talked with Malcom he was aware of the connectors coming lose inside.

They are not to bad an amp if you don't go mad. I never bridged any of mine so I can't say if it will work. They do get very hot as Mykey said, and I only used to run mine into 4 ohms per side. I think 2 ohms might be pusing it a bit unless you have some really good airflow going on around the amps.

cuivenion View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuivenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 1:14pm
Ahhh, i think i may have done this with one of them, which is why it will need repair.. Ah well you live and learn, lyndon i'll get the fuse rating for you, but it looks like i'll have to save up for 1 or 2 decent amps to run  the subs. It does'nt look like the chameleons will handle it! I've been looking at the t.amp proline amps, what do you guys reckon to them.
help!!!!!!!!!!
Lyndon A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 4:50pm
The internal wiring, as Rog said is pretty rubbish.  My problem is not so much the connectors themselves, as on mine they had blobs of hot glue to keep them on.  More the problem is the boards aren't secured very well, and so tend to move about, the chassis isn't one piece either.  On one of our 2000D, a PCB was so close to a main supply capacitor the solder joints rubbed over the outer plastic coating and shorted.  A few diodes replaced here and there, and a burnt track and its OK again.  I've made sure I put them back together better than they came out the factory.

As Rog also says, I think it might be best to stay away from 2ohm loads, they just don't seem to have enough output transistors.  And, being a Bipolar amp, watch out, otherwise you can say hello to thermal runaway!
FSV Sounds
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 1:16am
can anyone get the wiring diagram for the 1600d as i brought one the other day for pennys and it needs a good look over before i turn it on, and ye also a bit rubbish construction, in mine the glued down transformer had come away knocked the inside around a bit, 
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
cuivenion View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuivenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 4:14pm
The amps both have different fuses fitted:
T12,5a/250V and T16A250V.
help!!!!!!!!!!
Lyndon A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 4:25pm
12.5A and 16A ?!!!!!  Blimey

I bought ours in non working condition, and there were no fuses fitted so I guessed around T10A.  What happened was one of the amps had suffered over heating, because the fans stopped working and the output transistors shorted internally.  As there was no DC secondary side fuses to blow, the mains fuse had to blow.  For some reason the mains fuse decided to melt the IEC/kettle inlet into a huge mess... never seen anything like it before!  I assumed this was because the transformers primary side couldn't quite pull 10A, or maybe it was a bade fuse holder/fuse?

Also, the IEC inlets are rated for 10A, so having a 16A fuse is a bit dodgy, bearing in mind to blow a 16A Timedelay fuse takes quite a bit more for instant blow. 

Edited by Lyndon A - 17 July 2007 at 4:25pm
FSV Sounds
cuivenion View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuivenion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 2:30am
Must admit, it did'nt seem right when i found that out today. Amps where sold to me by pa company as fully serviced by an ex hill engineer, seems they probably were'nt. What fuses would you recommend? This might be why one of my amps failed on me, the fan seemed to stop working, and it would play for a while and then overheat then shut down. Where are you based and would you consider doing a overhaul job on them, you seem to have a lot of experience with this particular amp.
help!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>