Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cheap USB DMX interface

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheap USB DMX interface
    Posted: 12 February 2017 at 12:33pm
what do people use on the cheaper end of the market these days? My trusty ole Afterglow Aurora2 has packed in
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2017 at 1:49pm
What software are you using? To be honest I just carry ArtNet nodes nowadays, but if chamsys go with the magic dmx, if Avo you have to go with the titan one, entech for an all rounder
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2017 at 4:55pm
(don't laugh) was using freestyler, only very occasional disco bits. Starting to do some live band lighting on a monthly night - only a few RBGW backlights and a few white pars for front light...

think ill go enttec, they are common as much and work with all the free software packages - gives me room to upgrade in the future.

Must say im really surprised the big foreign powerhouses haven't started knocking out super cheap USB control surface interfaces, thats what i really want!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2017 at 5:39pm
Used to use an Entec pro, worked fine. When it was time to sell it people were keen, they stay popular.

Watch out for the customs charges importing new as I recall, try and find a second hand UK one maybe
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2017 at 10:48pm
got an Enttec open dmx [cheap one] for £30 used, that'll do

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Ginge Ginge wrote:

got an Enttec open dmx [cheap one] for £30 used, that'll do

Note that the OpenDMX is not supported by a number of the software suppliers.
Have a look at DMX King stuff
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2017 at 5:24pm
soooo next thing, managed gig using enttec open on freestyler software [just happened to be what i had/was compatible with my old afterglow interface].

is there any free software packages with a similar user interface to Martin Lightjockey touch? The rig needs to end up so any idiot can run it, and remember lightjockey being excellent for this purpose in the union. Have ordered a touchscreen....

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2017 at 3:51pm
ok turned out freestyler has one, and in all honesty, its actually pretty good! Its really quite a good piece of software all considering, very similar to lightjockey in so many ways, very user friendly!

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 9:41am
Freestyler seems to get ragged on a lot in the lighting community but even when I messed about with it about 10years ago it was quite usable if you knew what you were doing and the integrated 3D stage predictor actually worked which I found amazing. Took a little bit of setup but once you had your fixtures in correctly, was alright. Hopefully it has come on since then. I'd never use it for a pro level gig but if your needs are small, it's awesome s/w. I found it in some ways a lot more intuitive than other more regarded s/w out there
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 8:27pm
yeah its surprisingly well featured, had a touchscreen interface like a super simplified lighting desk - pages for cues etc, over ride buttons. Programming sequences is a little clumsy but is only 6-10 fixtures most the time for me so no issue, its hardly pro gigs, its hobby gigs because im bored and have nothing better to do. That and im running off a 9yr old XP netbook with no power, a powerful piece of software is no good!!

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2017 at 11:50am
You have to ask the question of how powerful software needs to be to push DMX data down a USB port anyway. It is hardly the cutting edge of serial protocols. I'd beware of a lighting s/w that needed a fast PC because it probably means it is badly coded or full of bloat!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2017 at 11:42am
and voila, the £80 touchscreen DMX netbook controller 'thing' [netbook i have had in my wardrobe for 7years, £30 dmx interface, £40 touchscreen, £10 replacement keyboard]. It actually works reasonably well too.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>