Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevin Amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 2:26pm
I did not understand the reason of hype around Chevin amplifiers, it was more like type of magic smoke...
Despite their AB Class design they seriously lack continuous power, neither has good peak capability.

There were several similar or even better amps in Hungary such 'ÁGOTA Audio' with similar MOSFET design,
and better limiter.

These all are outdated old low-tech.
Only one thing is high: the price of linear power transistors for replacement//repair which become virtually non-existent for today

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 4:11pm
What is so good in Labs?
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 7:03pm
Over the years I have owned amplifiers from C-Audio, Crest,Crown,Chevin, QSC, Lab Gruppen, Camco, Yamaha, MC2, FFA. The only ones I couldn't part with are still at home on my HiFi and they are the Chevins. 
They may be 'outdated old low tech' but I've not found anything to match them on mid/hf. 

It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 8:30am
dont confuse low-tech with simplicity. Sometimes an engineer has to know when to stop.

Look at how sometimes the simplest mixers (circuit-wise) are sought after for their clarity, over and above the sophisticated DJ toys.

I've only ever scrapped one Chevin and that was because it arrived fully dismantled resembling a meccano kit of the eiffel tower that had been run-over by skip lorry.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12