Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Class D amps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Class D amps
    Posted: 05 February 2022 at 9:22am
hi all.

i've just got my first class D amp. it's a JAM systems Q7. https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JMSQ7
this is also my first class D amp apart from a brief iNuke ownership

just wondering if there are things to be aware of here regarding use. i've read a little bit and a few things seem to crop up...

"use class D on subs/bass"

unfortunately i'm unable to do this, my 15 inch subs can get 2kW of power each from a bridged T-amp TSA-4 and only 700w each from the jam systems so it's a no go. i was going to put 2x HD15's and 2x martin F12's off the Q7 in that instance, they each need about 700w so that's perfect. is it really true that class D doesn't sound as good on tops? i will swap out an amp if so... (PS, i'm unable to test the kit until the night of the event, for various reasons)

"balancing the amp"

i've read a little about this and i'm not sure how true it is. perhaps it doesn't apply to the q7 as it has 4x independent amp circuits, though i suppose it shares a power rail.

i would be really interested in hearing your thoughts regarding class D usage and potential pitfalls... not running it off a genny... yet...

teef
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2022 at 7:32pm
Bad class D sounds bad on mid highs, and frankly every other  frequency range. Good class D can be used on all ranges.

All amplifiers with shared power supplies between multiple output channels will benefit from asymmetric loading, i.e. bass on ch1, mid on ch2, high on ch3, sub on ch4 etc.

As for generators, well frankly thats down to the design and quality of the amplifier, combined with a good mains power design. Rubbish amps will fail on good power supplies, and great amplifiers can be damaged by poor mains supplies. Get both right you will be fine and that has very little to do with the class of your amplifier. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2022 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Bad class D sounds bad on mid highs, and frankly every other  frequency range. Good class D can be used on all ranges.

Bad amps sound bad on speakers
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2022 at 2:31am
I've listened to the JAM amps quite often and while they're ultimately not going to compete with the bigger names at several times the price, they by no means sound bad and you get a decent amount of amp for the money. I'd say your plan of using them for the HD15's and F12's will work just fine.

As you say, 'balancing' does not apply to these amps as they are four completely independent modules.

teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2022 at 1:38pm
thanks guys! looks like they are going on the HD15's and F12's

i will report back with info in case anyone is interested :)

now to work out some nice crossover freqs for everything!
 Post Reply Post Reply