Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Class D Speakers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Class D Speakers.
    Posted: 07 December 2010 at 6:02pm
Anyone used the brand Class D?

What are your thoughts?
neilpoints View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilpoints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 6:17pm
I used some of their 20 quid, 12", 300W, chinese drivers, SPD12, and they're great value, sensitivity 96 isn't bad, going to put them in my friend's reflex cabs.
former Eurovision contestant
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 6:26pm
Most if not all on this forum strive for the best sound possible and with audio you get what you pay for. No one will give these glowing reviews because they are cheap tat but if they are all you can afford then they are all you can afford.

Specifically what are you after? Maybe someone can suggest a better alternative for you to spend your money on.
a1dl View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1dl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 6:33pm
I heard a covers band recently with a large collection of "Class D" speakers.   In a nice sized marquee, fairly large stacks either side of the stage and subs along the front, I'm not sure what models, but there were 18" subs, 15" full range and 12" boxes, all wooden unpowered cabs and they had some others on mons too.

I'm not sure what the purpose of all the 18s was, as the LF didn't play very low at all and the kick was an equally lame and peaveyesque kind of sound.   Bloody good drummer, shame the PA was so poor.

Having had a quick look at the website, the boxes are very cheap and quite inefficient.   However I guess their customer demographic is primarly the "it's watts wot matter, innit" brigade, those whom select a cab based on the maximum wattage for the cheapest price.   Using that criteria, I guess they score quite highly and Dave Doubledecks can boast an "8k Class D soundsystem" or whatever.

My experience as a listener wasn't a good one and I certainly wouldn't ever want to mix on them.
http://www.eventpahire.co.uk
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 6:35pm
A mate of mine had a pair of their 12" tops with the 15" bass bins. They were shockingly bad. The bass bins literally did nothing and the tops just sounded horrendous. I really would avoid this brand.
Symmetry Soundsystem
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 6:38pm
There have been many posts long ago about the man that makes these.
I don't think he comes on here anymore.
It just is.
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Spesh Spesh wrote:

A mate of mine had a pair of their 12" tops with the 15" bass bins. They were shockingly bad. The bass bins literally did nothing and the tops just sounded horrendous. I really would avoid this brand.

They weren't the 15" reflex bins either, they looked like some sort of odd tapped horn. Useless nonetheless.
Symmetry Soundsystem
samwills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samwills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 7:18pm
i heard them once and the quality of audio was so poor i left within a few moments... also the bas guitar was just opeing those subs like flood gates.. (they have no internal X-overs either) so with bands that cut down on cost and buy class-D... it really doesn't help them... also there built in X-overs in the mid/hf cabs are poor also as you may be lucky to go through a night without blowing a comp driver (when using them as normal)
Plaguesguitarist View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plaguesguitarist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 7:21pm
I have 2 empty 2x12 subs used as monitor props.

The ONLY good use for Class D stuff.
Why did the lampy cross the road?

To steal MY sharpie.
samwills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samwills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 7:51pm
:P what are there boxes like if i bought a pair of there shitty monitors and eminence loaded them??? (just need a better set of mons tbh using a pair of kam dj speakers lmao)
Plaguesguitarist View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plaguesguitarist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 8:08pm
Boxes are sort of ok-ish.  Made from MDF and usually carpeted they will do the job they are designed for but they wouldn't stand up to heavier use or scrutiny.

you're probably better off trying to get some better quality second hand ones or already unloaded ones to start with and loading them. I wouldn't trust the Class d crossover networks as far as i could chuck them either.
if you're interested in some wedges i have a couple of spare boxes. pm me if you are.
Why did the lampy cross the road?

To steal MY sharpie.
andycw View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 8:14pm
Well, I had some cheapo cheapo Drivers in some HD's i knocked up, they blew so i got a couple of the 15"( 350 rms?) drivers. I think for what i paid for them - they work nicely. They seem to move a fair amount of air!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>