Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleanest Bass to 200hz?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleanest Bass to 200hz?
    Posted: 16 September 2010 at 12:07am
I would like to know who has tried their reflex bass/sub boxes crossed over high and if they liked them up that high what sort of drivers/parameters seem to work the best.

Off the top of my head Tony Wilkes uses a 12" sub crossed to 8" tops at 180. The 12" box has a slight peak at 60hz for a bit of lowend and is about 2db down at 200hz from that peak. Is this drooping response the key perhaps? Rather than a rising response.

From what I have built 15"-21" they still sound good up high but you can here a drop in quality once you pass 150hz or so.

Any experiences? 

Tony?

Thanks

Edited by Glenn - 16 September 2010 at 12:08am
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2010 at 7:36am
Glen,

It purely depends on the driver. I have some 15" subs that sound OKish up to 500hz and I have built some that I was not happy listening to them doing 150hz.

On the 12" driver that you mentioned they actually measure fairly flat up to 2K but the manufacturers claim that they should only be used up to 200hz. I completely agree with that as to be honest even using them up to 1K they sound horrid.

I see a lot of pepes use the published frequency response of drivers to give them the max frequency that they can use a driver up to, frankly that is rubbish, use your ears.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 16 September 2010 at 7:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply