Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cloud VTX repair and restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2022 at 3:01pm
Its funny you mention the high air flow and then sand blasting. A couple of these I have fixed had not faults apart from a track worn away in the same place near the fan, when replaced with a wire they worked fine.  I suspect the airflow eroded the track.  Good amps if you don't care about the fan noise, I once ran one at full power for 45mins till the water of my test load boiled.
Randy Bohannon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Bohannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2022 at 8:14pm
I noticed a few corroded tracks, particularly at the front and rear of the bottom amplifier board.

In my case I think it was corrosion from the dust it trapped, that fan is an 11W, 160f^3/m beast compared to the average pair of 30f^3/m low voltage fans in the average amplifier and so I think it just sucks in more crap than most. this dust then holds moisture and corrodes the tracks through the solder mask.

Mine doesn't have a dust filter behind the front grille, incidentally, does yours?

I'm not surprised with your result, I couldn't get mine to overheat full power testing either, the load (1600w continuous in theory) however did... :D 

I'm setting it to the higher bias tonight for some critical listening tomorrow. 

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 9:03am
probably overheat
Kevin

North Staffordshire

kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 12:07pm
no filters in any of the VTX750 or VTX1000 I had

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Bohannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

probably overheat

Nah, not this puppy...Big smile

It didn't overheat but it didn't sound any better that I could hear either. I've biased it back to factory spec and declared it finished. 

I did think about maybe fiddling with the opamps and making the input filter a little less severe but, as you say, it probably not worth it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Bohannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by kipman725 kipman725 wrote:

no filters in any of the VTX750 or VTX1000 I had

Cheers Kipman, I have some thin foam I will line the front vents with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Bohannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2022 at 7:51pm
The new pots arrived and I fitted them, together with a new LED for the buggered signal indication.

It seems that Cloud went out of their way to find low output LEDs for the front the panel and I appreciate their efforts as the new one is too bright, really. I hsvr found a special, not-as-bright LED and bought it, whilst cursing my OCD.

however the signal indication for channel B still doesn't work. I really don't feel like pulling the thing apart again but it seems the problem is with the channel B PCB...

I have to say though, new pots seem to have improved the sound more so than any other single thing I have done including recapping.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12