Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CNC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CNC
    Posted: 16 December 2018 at 2:02pm
we would like to get one next Year , anyone , have any heads up what to watchout for ? 

Edited by Father-Francis - 16 December 2018 at 2:03pm
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:49am
Are you going to opt for a full commercial tool, software and hardware all in? Buying new or second hand? Whats your budget? Do you want 2D or 2.5D work? Same principle as used PA applies really, used quality tools are often > brand new dirt cheap tools, if they haven't been abused.

I'd recommend a software suite of vectric products for 2/2.5D work so you want to ideally find a tool controller that they can generate processed g-code for reliably. Autodesk Fusion is a good bet for more complex work if you need it and I think offers a free commercial license if your turnover is sub $100k US or thereabouts. Check the conditions on that, they may have changed.

CNCzone forums are your friend for proper information.
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Are you going to opt for a full commercial tool, software and hardware all in? Buying new or second hand? Whats your budget? Do you want 2D or 2.5D work? Same principle as used PA applies really, used quality tools are often > brand new dirt cheap tools, if they haven't been abused.

I'd recommend a software suite of vectric products for 2/2.5D work so you want to ideally find a tool controller that they can generate processed g-code for reliably. Autodesk Fusion is a good bet for more complex work if you need it and I think offers a free commercial license if your turnover is sub $100k US or thereabouts. Check the conditions on that, they may have changed.

Thanks boss , was thinking of buying China and making some modifications on it software not so much a problem.
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 11:58am
Your best value for money wouyld probably be just to buy the mechanical frame, motors, and motor controllers from Asia. Possibly a spindle also. Then you can bolt onto that any control scheme of your choosing and any extra features such relay controlled extraction etc.

When budgeting it would be wise to come up with a plan for decent extraction, and if you are going to be routing primarily sheet work then you may want to strongly consider vacuum bed to hold the sheets flat.

If you want to be running 8x4 sheets through then for me it'd be a toss up between a field proven second hand tool with the acceptance of perhaps more expensive support required, or rolling your own to some degree. That of course really depends on your level of expertise in these matters!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 3:59pm

Your best value for money wouyld probably be just to buy the mechanical frame, motors, and motor controllers from Asia. Possibly a spindle also. Then you can bolt onto that any control scheme of your choosing and any extra features such relay controlled extraction etc.

When budgeting it would be wise to come up with a plan for decent extraction, and if you are going to be routing primarily sheet work then you may want to strongly consider vacuum bed to hold the sheets flat.

If you want to be running 8x4 sheets through then for me it'd be a toss up between a field proven second hand tool with the acceptance of perhaps more expensive support required, or rolling your own to some degree. That of course really depends on your level of expertise in these matters!
I’ve given that a thought been looking around for about  18 months don’t seem to see anything going for a good price here , 12000£ for a machine that’s ten years old is not cheap, will spend 8500 including import tax for a new one from China some mates have one and it’s been running for 5 years now, no big break down so far.

Edited by Father-Francis - 17 December 2018 at 3:59pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 5:01pm
If you're willing to get stuck in and fix the inevitable issues as you find them that's definitely your most cost effective route i.e. ordering the basics and build the rest around it. You can even build the entire thing if you're that way inclined, make an 8040/Maytec frame (or weld from well aligned steel box section), buy the linear motion parts and get your moving frame, then you''re most of the way there imo. Downhill at that point.
wilidapili View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

Thanks boss , was thinking of buying China and making some modifications on it software not so much a problem.

Imo you really want to make sure the software that the CNC runs on is good, and I recommend it be Mach3 or 4. It’s called a post processor or motion control software, and it turns the GCode that is generated by your CAM software into movement. So the Motion Controller of the CNC needs to be compatible with said software. 

My experience with a chinese CNC is really good. You just need to find the supplier that has good support etc., and make a detailed Alibaba TradeAssurance -contract when purchasing. My machine was from AccTek.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 7:41am
My experience with a chinese CNC is really good. You just need to find the supplier that has good support etc., and make a detailed Alibaba TradeAssurance -contract when purchasing. My machine was from AccTek.
[/QUOTE]
Hey Boss they are the ones I got an offer from (AccTek)
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 8:04am
I’ve recently been dipping my Toe into the CNC world. 
With the help of a local expert I’ve built a small machine (800x1300mm)
Budget was tight so we constructed the whole thing from Phenolic Birch Ply with selected Chinese electronics, managed to do it for about €2700. 
Also, the Vectric Vcarve software is a revelation!

Edited by Shortrope - 18 December 2018 at 8:11am
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Shortrope Shortrope wrote:

I’ve recently been dipping my Toe into the CNC world. 
With the help of a local expert I’ve built a small machine (800x1300mm)
Budget was tight so we constructed the whole thing from Phenolic Birch Ply with selected Chinese electronics, managed to do it for about €2700. 
Also, the Vectric Vcarve software is a revelation!

that looks neat , for 5274,03euros I could get 1325 which is 1300x2500, theni add shipping and import tax, this is without extras , with some extra stuff everything ends up at about 8500, 
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 9:37am
Looks like a nice build there! My concern would be shofting of the frame with age and moisture but it's phenolic and presumably edge sealed + hopefully a not too damp workshop so sometimes you just have to see how it goes. Absolute worst case you re-build or skim the bed.

Software wise I have no complaints with UC_CNC and native driver support for their own USB controller peripherals is significant imo, Mach3 is ok but it's quite old school and there has been a lot of issues with the V4 software. Maybe they have made headway on resolving them, not been following the development for a few years now. USB driver support is probably inferior compared to UCCNC but that's just my feeling. 

Software wise some sort of vectric product is an absolute must imo, I'd budget for Vcarve Pro with the view to going higher one day. They will allow you to increment licensing from one product to another as your business needs grow. For simple 2D diagrams you can get away with free produsts like inkscape to generate vectors but the beauty of Vectric s/w is that it will generate the vectors and then the post processed g-code directly from them which you take straight to the mill. That plus the tooling library it stores means you can be cutting a design in literally minutes after thinking of it.
CCAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2018 at 1:14am
Check out www.openbuilds.com Look up their OX CNC and build your own
There is a bit of a learning curve in many directions with a CNC You will need to draw what you want to build turn it into G code This is my third build my first was a Shapeoko 2 which I used to learn on I sold the Shapeoko for what I paid for it and built a second larger version which I used to build Staipers Mini Lara and Cyclops and many road cases I also us it to mill the aluminum plates for my current CNC All still less than $1000 to build.
This is a link to #2 

and a link to #3 is an open Builds OX which I was finishing up the basic build  and I'm just starting to run

Next build will be a more rigid design with Linear rails and Bearings  and Acme Rod drive rail .

It's been a fun group of project with a good learning curve and not a lot of money

In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>