Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coaxial MT122

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coaxial MT122
    Posted: 16 January 2011 at 3:25pm

Not sure if this has been covered before but is the any reason why you cant cut down and mt122 (as per pic below) and mount the HF in the top 12" horn.  Anything to take into consideration when moutning the HF? Any effect on sound?

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 4:15pm
Try this one, but try a search as I know it's come up a few times over the last few years :-

http://forum.speakerplans.com/horn-loading-a-coax-driver_topic47168.html

Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Try this one, but try a search as I know it's come up a few times over the last few years :-

http://forum.speakerplans.com/horn-loading-a-coax-driver_topic47168.html

That is a complete misguide man. Entirely different topic for different thing.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 4:29pm
AMSS, coaxial loading will mess up the mid driver dispersion a bit, but that does not stop D&B to make C4 and C7 tops that do sound fabulous.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 4:29pm
I don't mean using a coaxial speaker like in that thread I mean actually mounting the HF driver and flare in the top horn space, bit like the BFM omnitops.

Edited by amss - 16 January 2011 at 4:30pm
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 5:37pm
I tryed it with quite a big horn about 300 x 150 and it didnt really affect the responce untill about 800Hz on axis, nearfield imageing was better, id say its a good idea.  Id go for a 60  x 40 horn to roughly match dispertion at 800Hz and cross to a BMS 4550 at 800Hz or a nice 2".
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 5:38pm
That was in single 12" horns though, but i think it would still work well with a twin 12".
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 5:41pm
i think.. i've grasped.. that if your (high) horn is small enough to not interfere with the wavelengths of the frequencies of signal the mid horn is producing.. it'll be fine.. like in the Xtro plan, or something..

maybe look stuff like that up..
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

I tryed it with quite a big horn about 300 x 150 and it didnt really affect the responce untill about 800Hz on axis, nearfield imageing was better, id say its a good idea.  Id go for a 60  x 40 horn to roughly match dispertion at 800Hz and cross to a BMS 4550 at 800Hz or a nice 2".

I would go with a 60 x 40 horn not sure about a 1" compression driver though.
sonofalesbian View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonofalesbian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 7:06pm
xtro is abit different though, because the comp is in the horn path of a 15" driver that doesnt anywhere near touch 800 hz, so not much chance of interfearence there!
www.brotherhoodsoundsystem.co.uk
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 9:13pm
What ever horn you use it will cause some interfearence, the HF horn will always be bigger than 1/4 wavelength at the crossover frequency, its not going to be accousticly invisable

The question is how dos it sound in the real world, the only sure way to find out is to try.  As long as the horn is well designed to meet 800Hz i think it will work well, as i tryed quite a large horn in the mouth of a MT112 with a BMS 4544 and it worked well. 

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by amss amss wrote:

Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

I would go with a 60 x 40 horn not sure about a 1" compression driver though.

Id recomend you give the 4550 a try, ive not got that one but the 4544 sounds great crossed at 1.3KHz and the 4550 recomends crossing even lower.  I was a bit skeptical about running a 1" that low but it works
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>