Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colossus 18xb horn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colossus 18xb horn?
    Posted: 18 February 2021 at 6:19pm
Good evening, 
I'm not being entirely lazy, i did just do a forum search but found a bit of useful and a bit of conflicting info. 

I'm picking up a pair of 18XBs at the weekend and starting looking into suitable plans for them. I was intent on building the fane reflex design, having read somewhere that they dont do well in sealed chamber designs? I think it was a thread about invaders. However I've now learnt that they are suitable for the USB. 

My question is, what (if any) other horns do these work well in?

TIA. 
Add "Harmonize soundz" on facebook....
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2021 at 9:30pm

The FANE 18 XB is a very old driver. The parameters have not changed dramatically, throughout the decades. The main change in the past 30 years has been the wattage rating. However, the slight change in TS Parameters is miniscule.

In the early 1990's, I've used those drivers in Cerwin Vega L 36 copies, feeding each driver 800 watts with no problems whatsoever. At the same token, I've used those drivers in Double Eighteens feeding each driver 600 watts with no problems whatsoever.

The FANE 18 XB is a very versatile driver which can work in horns and/or reflex cabinets.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2021 at 9:55pm
It's a lot of fun in a scoop :)
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2021 at 3:19am
Build scoops if you want to put the 18XB in a horn. They don't do well in large front loaded horns as the cone isn't strong enough and they do very badly in bandpass assisted horns like the ES18BPH or a Funktion One 218 style cab, the cones break on the ribs as they cant take the pressure from the sealed chamber once you put a decent amount of power up them.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2021 at 4:15am

The boxes you mentioned are short horns that are pretty much useless under 55 Hz. The FANE 18 XB shows it's class from 50 Hz – 35 Hz.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 19 February 2021 at 4:15am
Elliot Thompson
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2021 at 8:11am
Yes, they are great in scoops and also reflex.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
jimbo.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 10:31pm
Thanks all for the feedback Thumbs Up
I'm not confident I'd make a great build of full sized scoops. But i know i could nail a reflex build. I have just been looking at some ready to go 'mini scoops' would i get much better sound through the minis than i would reflex?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 11:40pm
"Better sound" is subjective. With both enclosures of equal size, the reflex will play lower than a scoop. From a volume perspective, single driver versus single driver, in addition to, both cabinets in equal size, the scoop will be louder than the reflex from a general bass (55 Hz and up) perspective.

No one can tell which one is better. Only your ears can decide.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
jimbo.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 11:48pm
Hahaha, as informative as that is... (and thanks). I'm still none the wiser. My previous systems have always been horn loaded. Started with 18 scoops and progressed to "looney bins" . So i suppose I'm naturally leaning away from the idea of reflex as my sub section... but then this all started as  'lockdown project' and is now escalating very quickly hahaha. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 12:08am
Originally posted by jimbo.. jimbo.. wrote:

Hahaha, as informative as that is... (and thanks). I'm still none the wiser. My previous systems have always been horn loaded. Started with 18 scoops and progressed to "looney bins" . So i suppose I'm naturally leaning away from the idea of reflex as my sub section... but then this all started as  'lockdown project' and is now escalating very quickly hahaha. 

Just remember a reflex does not require multiple cabinets in order to extend it's frequency response in the lower octaves whereas, a scoop needs multiple cabinets to extend it's frequency response in the lower octaves. That is the nature of horns. The only thing you should bear in mind is the reflex will sound different if you are accustomed to using scoops.

There are lots of Scoops and Reflex videos on Youtube. So put on some headphones and begin evaluating the two if you are still uncertain.   

If you are open to a wide variety of music then a reflex would be your best option. However, if you focus primarily on one type of music the scoop will give you a similar sound as if you were playing out.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 24 February 2021 at 12:10am
Elliot Thompson
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by jimbo.. jimbo.. wrote:

But i know i could nail a reflex build.

you should screw it really

jimbo.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 8:25pm
Hahahaha.. Was just gonna fix it foam it really LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>