Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Community csx60s2 any good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Community csx60s2 any good?
    Posted: 12 December 2017 at 11:08am
There's is a pair of these local to me all original drivers for £120 I no they are huge and awkward but are they any good?
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 2:17pm
Each box (4 x 15") is a 4 Ohm box, which seems sensible.

I have used community boxes before (CSX52), and they proved to be very reliable over a period of years, including taking a beating as dj monitors.

They will be carpet covered particle board with corner protectors.

The "Powersense" crossover inside Community boxes is very good and protects the drivers well.

The fact the pair of boxes near you have all original drivers seems to bear this out.

The drivers are not super high power, but they are ferrofluid cooled, and whilst each box is rated at 600w continous, the spec sheet says should be fine with amp of 1200w / 4 Ohms.

I reckon £120 is pretty damm good for 8 x 15" original drivers in total, in ported boxes which are obviously correctly matched to the drivers.
bassdesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by APC321 APC321 wrote:

Each box (4 x 15") is a 4 Ohm box, which seems sensible.

I have used community boxes before (CSX52), and they proved to be very reliable over a period of years, including taking a beating as dj monitors.

They will be carpet covered particle board with corner protectors.

The "Powersense" crossover inside Community boxes is very good and protects the drivers well.

The fact the pair of boxes near you have all original drivers seems to bear this out.

The drivers are not super high power, but they are ferrofluid cooled, and whilst each box is rated at 600w continous, the spec sheet says should be fine with amp of 1200w / 4 Ohms.

I reckon £120 is pretty damm good for 8 x 15" original drivers in total, in ported boxes which are obviously correctly matched to the drivers.

Thankyou very much indeed for taking the time to reply to my Thread much appreciated. I might just get them for the sake of it, it's just there stupid size that puts me off as it is literally like moving a wardrobe.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by bassdesigner bassdesigner wrote:

I might just get them for the sake of it, it's just there stupid size that puts me off as it is literally like moving a wardrobe.

They're not ridiculously deep or heavy so while still a 2 person job, they shouldn't be that bad to move.

Note also that most of their output is in the upper part of the bass range around 60-90Hz, so these will never sound particularly "subby".
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 5:14pm
1Ω wound drivers in series in these, so make sure they are all good as its not easy to find replacements. lots of 60Hz, drop off quite quickly below that, but quite loud.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 6:08pm
I see so it's not as if I could easily use the drivers for something else if I find them not practical. Bloody ugly things but I suppose their cheap enough for a punt!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

1Ω wound drivers in series in these, so make sure they are all good as its not easy to find replacements. lots of 60Hz, drop off quite quickly below that, but quite loud.

Thanks Csg, so I take it if one driver dies the whole cab goes quiet?
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 7:46pm
correct. having said that, these will be difficult to kill unless you are being very silly with them as they have quite good on board over-power protection ( lamps and re-settable fuses). There are probably still some 15" drivers for these on in my spares room as we still look after an install using these boxes, but as they have never needed replacements i guess thats a good sign!. I'd say you cant go far wrong for that price.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 7:48pm
I cant find any mention anywhere in Community brochures or on the internet relating to the actual impedence of their ferrofluid cooled woofers.

The CSX60-S2 has 4 x 15" - system impedence 4 Ohms.

I also found that Community also make the CSX40-S2 which has 2 x 15" - system impedence 4 Ohms.

So I wonder how the drivers are connected in the CSX40-S2?

Community are a well respected manfacturer.

I am really surprised that they would wire 4 drivers all in series as if one driver dies the whole cab would go quiet, as previously mentioned.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 8:00pm
well, odd as it might seem, but having metered these in the past, they are indeed 1Ω nominal with a DCR of around 0.8Ω. This is not unique amongst manufacturers, Bose also do similar in products like 502, 402 and 802 amongst others. Ordering custom coils on large batches of drivers is easy for large manufacturers, and simple series wiring saves on cable inside cabs - and those savings add up. Community is a very cost conscious company - a check on the quality of a lot of their drivers will confirm this...

i cant comment on the 40S2 as i've not been in one of those!
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:35pm
Would you rater have the box go quiet and protect itself when one driver fails, or keep on playing and have the other drivers beat themselves up and fail?
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply