Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Community fiberglass bass horns.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Community fiberglass bass horns.
    Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:36am
Hey guys. A friend of mine has aquired a new skating rink that seems to be stuck in 1983 and we will be replacing the sound and light system. The current system consists of eight old Klipsch 12" 3-way speakers (4 on each side) and 4 Community fiberglass bass horns, one in each corner. I love the look of the old horns, they perfectly match the Times Square lighting 10X12 Disco lights that still work and will stay in the rink. I believe the horns are currently loaded with 15 inch JBL drivers. Does anyone have any info on these horns and know if it's possible to load them with a modern driver and possibly reuse them as a midbass between subs and some 8-12" 2 ways?

The member formally known as vwbidder.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by SonicXtasy SonicXtasy wrote:

4 Community fiberglass bass horns, one in each corner.

Are you referring to the suspended horns in these photos as "bass horns"? They dont look like bass horns at all.
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 2:11pm
Found this leaflet of a Community speaker that looks similar to me:

https://i.imgur.com/OIqEcKa.jpg
SonicXtasy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Are you referring to the suspended horns in these photos as "bass horns"? They dont look like bass horns at all.

Yes, by definition they were what reproduced the low frequency of a 2 or 3 way system. They were probably good down to about 70hz which is considered bass. By our modern standards though they would be used as a midbass kick. I would add actual subbass cabinets to play below these. 

@APC123, those look close, I think those are a little bigger. They claim 16 sqft mouth area but the ones at the rink look more like 12 sqft.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 5:38pm
"load them with a modern driver"

Do you know what they have now? I see an aluminium dustcap, which most probably means a K series driver. They obviously don´t boast a lot of power, but are very efficient and sound great. So why change if all you want is mid-bass? The JBL´s should be perfect!

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
SonicXtasy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonicXtasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Do you know what they have now? I see an aluminium dustcap, which most probably means a K series driver. They obviously don´t boast a lot of power, but are very efficient and sound great. So why change if all you want is mid-bass? The JBL´s should be perfect!

The couple times I have been there i noticed 2 of them were not playing. I haven't had a chance to check them out but seeing as all 4 twweters on one side seem MIA I am assming the worst for the bass horns.

I wonder if they would go high enough to meet up with some BMS coax comps?
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Same thinking here. Probably some K140 or E140, which are perfect for high bass to mids.
Sound real good, very efficient and all. You could recone them...
Can't be a problem to match them with BMS coax comps.
Back in the day I used the same low horns with E140 or EVM15L and crossed them at 800 Hz, worked like a charm. With a big enough horn on a BMS comp, you could go lower than 800 Hz.
Higher is also possible, but that would kinda defeat the need for a coax comp and the bass horn's dispersion gets too small in those regions.

Edited by Peter Jan - 09 October 2017 at 7:39pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 10:05am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 2:49pm
The biggest BMS coaxial comp driver and horn will play from 300Hz up, although 600Hz is probably a more sensible lower limit. Your Community horns should be able to play that high.
The BMS units are not cheap but would probably be as loud as 2x 12"/1" reflex boxes, and would keep the system as fully horn loaded, point source, with well-defined pattern control. You would not need a very powerful amp to drive them either.
By mounting the BMS under the Community, angled somewhat downwards and some distance back from the Community's mouth, you could probably achieve coherent summation at floor level without using digital delay. That would need some experimentation to determine, though.
This would also keep mid-high frequencies away from the upper walls of the rink, meaning less distracting reflections bouncing around.
Then put a tasty stack of sub-bass horns in each corner and party on ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
ash pegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash pegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 9:05pm
They do look lovely don't they. What are the dimensions?
don't forget the cables
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 12:23am
Also interested in the dimensions. Looks a similar size to my 2” tractrix and would look smart below it.
ash pegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash pegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:33am
Exactly what I was thinking Jon glad you've seen this too
don't forget the cables
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>