Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Community fiberglass bass horns.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodgroove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 8:17am
+1
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 10:34am
Wow they are huge. 134cm wide :o according to this pdf:

http://literature.puertoricosupplier.com/043/FP42707.pdf

You could splay two 2" tractrix underneath which would pretty much match the width, would give loads of coverage.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:09pm
large, single 60x40° coaxially mounted cd horn, bms loaded might be one solution to match the community horns dispersion and bandwidth?

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:19pm
out of interest. Is the 'bass horn' dispersion much of a factor when your cross firing 4 of them like this?
ash pegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash pegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:28pm
In reality when the clientele are whizzing around and around in circles I'm sure that the only usefull answer would be no
don't forget the cables
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

out of interest. Is the 'bass horn' dispersion much of a factor when your cross firing 4 of them like this?

It could become an issue of unwanted beaming and/or destructive interference, when mounted/placed close to one another, especially in multiples, but in this setup totally not.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by ash pegs ash pegs wrote:

In reality when the clientele are whizzing around and around in circles I'm sure that the only usefull answer would be no

Haha you're probably onto something there ash. On second thoughts tho and lets say this wasn't a skating rink, it is quite a large space so probably have to be giving that system some watts to not be able to differentiate where the sound was coming from so bass en mass is probably right. Apart from the cd horn part
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 7:14pm

- i`d rather match those community horns lmf dispersion/directivity and rolloff to the mhf in that quad setup than adding a wider mhf splay and its issues.. center flown bass/sub array might be the "best" option to integrate well with least dsp/amp CHs?

ash pegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash pegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 9:00pm
I'm pretty sure that the clientele concerned in this particular venue will be a lot more concerened with pop music and clean shaving, however that doesn't make the theory any less important. Surely crossfiring over an area like this is not going to have a noticeable effect though is it?
don't forget the cables
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

- i`d rather match those community horns lmf dispersion/directivity and rolloff to the mhf in that quad setup than adding a wider mhf splay and its issues.. center flown bass/sub array might be the "best" option to integrate well with least dsp/amp CHs?

Centre splayed array is what you usually see in rinks. But he would be short of the basshorns for full 360 degree.

In regards to a horn to match 60x30 of the bass horns. The 2" tractrix is an accurate 60x40 so would work well just using a single, and at 645mm wide its a decent size so as not to look lost and good deal of sensitivity and throw for the space.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 6:58pm
eqd cd horn will result in more even dispersion within passband, tractix not really, by nature..
(hence suggesting CD HF to keep broadband similar dispersion 200ish hz up..)
depending on the depth of the community lmf a coax hf layout might not do much harm re resonances in the lowmids, at least you would get a sort of point source sound and uniform dispersion to cover 2/3d of that rink more or less properly, guess no one would really8 be bothered if the sides, out of direct dispersion, will sound a bit muffled?! L/R-R/L, cross stereo setup, not facing each other directly on axis + some acoustic damping along the walls should work well enough for that purpose?

if you require a lower overall spl + better coverage i`d go for plenty small fullrange cabs along the long walls and a double bass array on both sides - properly done it should keep overall spl at a minimum yet allowing for best/most even coverage, at some cost and labour obviously..

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

eqd cd horn will result in more even dispersion within passband, tractix not really, by nature..
(hence suggesting CD HF to keep broadband similar dispersion 200ish hz up..)
depending on the depth of the community lmf a coax hf layout might not do much harm re resonances in the lowmids, at least you would get a sort of point source sound and uniform dispersion to cover 2/3d of that rink more or less properly, guess no one would really8 be bothered if the sides, out of direct dispersion, will sound a bit muffled?! L/R-R/L, cross stereo setup, not facing each other directly on axis + some acoustic damping along the walls should work well enough for that purpose?

if you require a lower overall spl + better coverage i`d go for plenty small fullrange cabs along the long walls and a double bass array on both sides - properly done it should keep overall spl at a minimum yet allowing for best/most even coverage, at some cost and labour obviously..

They all beam up high, typical of horns in general. My tractrix starts doing this at 17khz, Cd horns around the same. Conventional tractrix id agree with you but the oval tractrix works a lot better, Its dispersion is in the real world is similarly accurate as a cd without all the nasty reflections. Mr goodgrove did some comparisons of the two. Wonder if hed like to chime in as I know the tractrix outperformed the cd's. A 2" bms in a large cd to me just sounds bad. Don't get anything close to what could be described as harmony from them imo. Tractrix just sounds beautiful. And its larger than any cd ive seen so get the benefit of added sensitivity.

I use one of my tractrix as a radio in my unit, Love how at low spl I can hear it perfectly clear anywhere in the unit and up the end of the drive and out of the estate for that matter lol Not sure I agree full range cabs could match the coverage without shed loads of them.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 12 October 2017 at 7:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>