Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Compact 12" + 1". UPDATE (Grills & Measurements)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compact 12" + 1". UPDATE (Grills & Measurements)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by d.antonis d.antonis wrote:

What about the back reflex tube? Are you happy with the results?

I'll get back to you on that. I've been away or gigging for the last week and a bit.
d.antonis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:53pm
No problem ,take your time..
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:54pm
wow, the finished product looks superb!!!
graysonrevoir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graysonrevoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 6:37am
Hey, these look really great, I love the compact design. I can imagine them being diverse in application potentially using them as floor monitors or PA tops.

I would really like to build a pair. 

Could you please share the dimensions? 

many thanks!
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:57pm
First posted updated with Measurements.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by graysonrevoir graysonrevoir wrote:

Hey, these look really great, I love the compact design. I can imagine them being diverse in application potentially using them as floor monitors or PA tops.

I would really like to build a pair. 

Could you please share the dimensions? 

many thanks!

Ill post the CAD file once i have made a couple of adjustments to it.
The angle is not correct for use as a floor wedge. 
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Speaker Sol Speaker Sol wrote:

Originally posted by d.antonis d.antonis wrote:

What about the back reflex tube? Are you happy with the results?

I'll get back to you on that. I've been away or gigging for the last week and a bit.

In today's tests I didn't notice any major difference in the bass response front to back. 
I suspect my port is tuned quite low, lower than the target of 65hz, maybe closer to 50hz.
I guess the higher you tune the more the rear port will affect the response as the sound will become more directional? Maybe. 

In this design it doesn't seem to make a difference.
d.antonis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:31pm
Nice. I already made a test-drive box from some plywood i had and i made the reflex duct in the back. I can say that it sounds pretty good. I didn't even glued it ,iwas anxius of the result. In the next few days ,i'll glue it of course and i will add stuffing piece by piece testing it all the way. Keep up the good work.....Smile
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 9:41pm
Phase plot is not good. You need to reverse the polarity of the HF driver so the HF phase is close to zero. This way the HF phase is way off.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Phase plot is not good. You need to reverse the polarity of the HF driver so the HF phase is close to zero. This way the HF phase is way off.

Can you give me a bit more detail about what is wrong with this plot. 

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:46am
In regards to the above. 

I have done a lot of research, reading and practical exercises. But no formal training. 
I thought I understood the principles, but maybe I have missed something. 

My goal here was to:
Match the slops within the acoustic crossover, keeping an eye on the impulse response to be sure that i was not 360 degree's out.

The combining of the two drivers within the acoustic crossover are summing as expected. 

So I am not sure what I have done wrong, but I would very much like to understand. 

Anyone wants to jump in with some well explained advice is very welcome to and much appreciated. 

Many Thanks
Sol

Edited by Speaker Sol - 29 May 2018 at 10:47am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Speaker Sol Speaker Sol wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Can you give me a bit more detail about what is wrong with this plot. 

Technically, nothing major - you're aligned within 30 degrees through most of crossover region, you've got the -6dB points matching so that gives a reasonably flat summation through crossover. Yes, phase is not on 0 degrees, but it's on +90 degrees so polarity inversion will just make it -90 degrees.

However Marjan is correct, in most cases using LR24 either side of both passbands means either HF or mid needs a polarity inversion and that might get you closer to smooth phase alignment with less delay. It's also common to have to delay the HF driver, even if it's on a horn, rather than the mid.

Try flipping the polarity on both passbands first then doing your alignment, see which you prefer.

Whilst absolute, flat phase is an admirable goal, I'd always rather take a speaker that has passbands in relative time with minimal offset through crossover than fight over getting things absolutely flat, so to speak.

One thing I will say though is make sure you're checking this alignment holds up at normal listening distance and off-axis too. It's easy to get things looking good on axis, but 90% of your audience are not stood on-axis to the box!

Edited by toastyghost - 29 May 2018 at 6:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>