Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compact 2 way fullrange cabinet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

The BMS 12S330 is a very capable driver It looks capable of soaking up a lot of power and providing a good low frequency response in a small box, Not so efficient though.
Could not get a decent response in Hornresp with the size and tuning suggested by Marjan
The Beyma SM212 seems just about on the money as APW suggested.
Sim shows BMS in grey and Beyma in black, in boxes with size and tuning suggested, both at 20Volts (50w @ 8 R)

Sorry, my bad, that is volume for the double 12. Try 40 lit.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 9:59pm
I am loving the look of the volt 220.1 but unfortunately it is discontinued..

Are there any known alternatives?
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:08pm

Hi Marjan
The BMS is great in a 40L box it shows a bass hump with 45hz tuning and could be tuned to below 40hz
Sim shows BMS 50w 40L 40hz against Beyma 50w 90L 47hz
You can see what reducing the size does, it throws away 5db of output so needs 3 times the power - not so good on batteries.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:13pm
Monkeys: Why not download winisd and sim them for yourself? You'll learn enough doing it to answer many of your own questions!

Edited by JonB67 - 29 January 2020 at 10:15pm
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:14pm
Could you sim that in a 30l box? 
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Why not download winisd and sim them for yourself? You'll learn enough doing it to answer many of your own questions!

I will =)

I was really just looking for general recommendations at the moment. But yes I will get off my ass and fire up WinISD and have a play
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Monkeys Monkeys wrote:

I am loving the look of the volt 220.1 but unfortunately it is discontinued..

Are there any known alternatives?

If anyone knows about this I would be very happy to hear of a similar driver =)
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:33pm
The BMS box is half the size :) 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:39pm
Hoffman strikes again!!  Smile
TheORig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheORig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:24pm
What about using 2 x 10" passive radiators (one on each side) opposed to a port / horn?

Interested to follow this build, please make sure to post updates and images, considering something similar myself. Smile
Monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2020 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by TheORig TheORig wrote:

What about using 2 x 10" passive radiators (one on each side) opposed to a port / horn?

Interested to follow this build, please make sure to post updates and images, considering something similar myself. Smile

Can you explain the advantages you would see from that vs a port?

If I understsnd correctly that sounds akin to a boominator, which didn't really appeal to me for this project. Im going for more of a "mini standard PA speaker" type dealio with this. endeavour. So somewhat directional, high quality sound that covers most of the full range, doesnt need to be super loud, that can be paired with a second unit for stereo.
TheORig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheORig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2020 at 9:31am
A Boominator has 2 active drivers back to back which effectively increased the overall efficiency of the system and uses 2 ports. (Has no passive radiators)

A passive radiator is used instead of a port / bass reflex so works in a similar way. Typically you will use 2x 10" passive radiators to 1 x 10" Active driver if they have a similar Xmax. (See the below youtube video for an example subwoofer with passive radiators) 

Have a little google of the benefits as you'll find better information than I can give. Here are some links to get started.

Hope this helps!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>