Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Complete newbie looking to build a small sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote particle-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Complete newbie looking to build a small sound
    Posted: 15 June 2017 at 5:48pm
Hi Folks, first time poster here

Me and a friend are looking to build a small soundsystem on a fairly modest budget for parties/dances that can still pack a punch in terms of low end, I've been browsing here and a few other places for a little while and I'm thinking of 2 or 3 18" scoops (either hogs or super scoopers probably) and something to handle the tops/mids, maybe 15" or 12" something or other. We're both absolute novices at this so any advice from some more experienced heads in terms of what amps and cabs we might need would be amazing. I mainly play "proper" dubstep (stuff like digital mystikz etc) as well as grime and roots/dubwise stuff and my friend is more geared towards dub and also a bit of dancehall so our rig would need to be able to handle that super low end but still be suitable for more organic sounds too, our shared interest in in dub/roots so we want a reggae style rig (pre-amps and all) but that can also handle the low-end pressure of dubstep etc. Apologies if I've asked an super obvious questions here, we're still in the very early stages of research and planning :)

Thanks in advance 

Edited by particle-jim - 15 June 2017 at 9:35pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 9:44pm
1-2 15" +2" tops for kick. For 15" ~130gbp each. Hf horns 65-105gbp each.

For 2 12" + 1.4. Mid basses 80-120gbp each. Hf horns 60gbp each.

So 2-3 scoops. Some more info?
Try to make some budget.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 10:40pm
Hi there Jim

*inserts standard reply*

Best all round bass solution with the best mix of ease of build, best sounding, budget driver friendly 
****drum roll****
BASS REFLEX!
4x B&C sub 18 or 4x Fane 200L would make one hell of a noise
loaded with Fane 18XB (due to availability on the 2nd hand market if you want real budget)

From there, if you need more bass, build more!
We always advise to stick to bass reflex for newbies starting up. They play lower notes, have a wider frequency range, easier to tune and don't usually require a dedicated kick section.
If you're going down the scoops route and other horn loaded speakers, you will need to do more research into delays and other things.

Mid tops I would suggest to buy decent 2nd hand. If you have a decent bass section and you're tops sound crap, the whole lot will sound crap. I always think a smooth mid top section is much more important than a heavy bass line. Not unless you want to pay money for some nice drivers. Much harder to get right than bass sections.

Amps wise, if buying 2nd hand, personally I would try to find something like a JBL MPX1200 or QSC 4050 for your bass section. Even a Proline 3000 can be had relatively cheap 2nd hand, just make sure its been treated well. QSC 2450 amps are quite popular for mid tops, and they are prolific on the 2nd hand market. Just buy the best your funds can allow.

You can't polish a turd!
particle-jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote particle-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 10:47pm
Thanks for the response guys, in terms of a budget we wanna keep costs down as much as possible, we're based out in Mexico (I'm from London though) so wages aren't as high here as when I was back home, in terms of size something small like this looks about right though not necessarily using that exact same setup, I dont know what box design for the mids or tops and I don't know if we want hog scoops or super scoopers or something else

Like I say we're still in the very very very earliest stages of planning so we could well look into reflex designs for the bass as well :)

Edited by particle-jim - 15 June 2017 at 10:48pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote particle-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 10:58pm
Hmmmmm reflex does actually sound a lot easier based on what you just said, will deffo do more research into that, thanks :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote particle-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 1:55am
Ok so I've looked into reflex a bit more and read some stuff on here and I'm thinking 2 G-subs for the bottom end because a lot of folk on here have built them so it will be really easy to get advice and for the mids/tops I know you recommended 2nd hand but to be honest I quite like the idea of building the whole thing from scratch (I like a challenge and I like the idea of it having a uniform bespoke look to it) so I was thinking a couple of either x12s or x15s

Does that sound like something that could work or am I missing something obvious that I will later be embarrased about? :)
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 5:54am
That sounds fine, dual 15/18 reflex bottom end and 12s above should work very well, easy to build and easy to add to in the future, any advice needed just ask, good luck buddy 😀

Ps, if you are looking for drivers on a budget the P audio E range are very good for the price

Edited by concept-10 - 17 June 2017 at 5:59am
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 6:22am
There was a pair of X12s going for silly money on the bay recently
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 6:39am
Depends how many people your playing to and whether it's inside or outside ,what kinda spl your needing .

Two twin 18"reflex loaded with decent drivers will be a big sound inside but not so much outside .

For efficient sub from a reflex it's all about spending big money on drivers that are suited to sub frequencies .. b&c tbx100 is the best iv personaly heard and use regularly but there not cheap , also ( personaly ) don't like using them low passed above 100hz , for that ,ur better off with a different driver but it won't be as good at sub as a tbx100 !

Four twin 18's outside does the trick ,just my humble oppinion ofcourse with the experience iv had haha
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote particle-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 11:31pm
this again may be another super obvious question but how do you calculate what amp you would need for your drivers, so if I had 4 600w drivers for my subs what wattage would the amp need to be with enough headroom so that I dont blow my rig? If 600w x 4 is 2400w then how much above 2400 do I need in terms of headroom?
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 12:57am
By the wounds of it you'll be playing some pretty sub heavy tunes with sustaned bass notes and the like so really you wanna get the beefiest amp you can afford.

Headroom is a bit subjective in my opinion.

If its just techno/trance your talking fairly regular cycles of bass and not huge amounts of sub, so you could probably get away with using (decent, mind) amps same rating as your drivers.

With the dubstep and roots youve got in mind you really dont want an amp that looses its lunch on the big sustained notes, running it into clip or worse, protection dropping levels. With that said, ive heard people say double what your drivers ratings for amp headroom, but really its just getting the best/meatiest amps you can afford so youve got summat to work with, watts ratings arent the be all and end all, its more a guide to give you an idea.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote particle-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 1:27am
Ok just so I'm clear, do I need to add the wattage of the speakers together to work out what amp I need, for example 4 600w speakers would total 2400 so do I need an amp comfortably above 2400w or do I just go based on the 600w and look for an amp at around 1200w? I think I get what your saying but I'm not sure if I need the combined wattage of all the speakers... sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake here lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>