Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cones vs Compression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 8:45am
Originally posted by cilla.scope cilla.scope wrote:

out they pop with a 4 x 6K in a 3U box ... Wink
LOL

oh jeez

Big smileLOL
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 9:05am
One of the secrets of the Tannoy VQ60 is undoubtedly the waveguide geometry but I have also heard that driver sound really sweet with standard CD waveguides.

I have always disliked the 2" driver that is forced to run up high and get eq'ed to fuk to allow it to happen. These are the real culprits IMO. Diaphragm breakup (resonances?) causes these to sound very offensive especially at high levels.

Taken in isolation some of the Line array comp drivers can sound very nice indeed, I think you will find that the designer in question brobably has an axe(head) to grind.

Tony
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by tallmike tallmike wrote:

LOL

oh jeez

Hehehe :) .. well you know, just saying .. trouble with class D is there are so many design options ...

Lets take a *completely*  hypothetical design scenario :)

their are 4 real areas to consider in a class D amp,
1) PSU
2) switching speed
3) output topology
4) output filter

the rest is failry standard control and protection that anyone who has designed amps or servo drives will be familiar with.

big switchmode PSU is a failry mature technology theses days, it shouldnt cause too many issues

switching speed is coming up, new devices around that are faster and more efficient .. this means things are gettign smaller!

output topology is a big area ... so many to choose from .. my fave though is grounded bridge ... you take a standar "full bridge" driver , and ground one side, then let the psu float up and down. The downside is you need 1 psu per channel, but it has other benefits ... its still bridgeable, you don't get rail pumping like you do in half-bridge designs.

Having 1 psu per channel means it is sensible to build the channels as "blocks" ... drop 2 into a case and voila .. a 12K ...  drop 4 into a case and .. there you go .. a 4x6K .. bridgeable as 2 x 12K

now ... heres the thing .. if you put a pair of 6K modules in a 2U case, they dont quite fill it vertically .. but they pretty much fill the floor area ... basically, each module ends up being half a rack wide ...   you cant just stand them edge on and put 4 in a box, as the box ends up too tall, and you dont cover all the floor ... so what to do .. one idea was to effectively folding them in half ... PSU on one side, amp on the other in a box 3U high, and 1/4 of a rack wide ... when in 4 channel mode, and 2U high and 1/2 a rack wide with the PSU and amp side-by-side in 2 channel mode .. but that would have meant different modules for 2 and 4 channel amps ..  so on to plan B

Plan B is to make the module 1/2 a rack wide and sort of L shaped in section .. half od i 2 U high (with the caps and Big Stuff in it ... half of it 1U high with the "other bits" ... in 2 channel mode, you get 2 modules on the bottom of the amp, in 4 channel mode you get 2 on the bottom, 2 on the top ... with the 2 U bots of the upper amps sitting over the 1U bits of the lower amps giving a total of 3U ..  all the connectors  could be mounted on the modules themselves .. picking up their audio inputs from the front panel, which has the DSP and volume controls.

The big advantage of this is that you can make 4 or 2 channel units up from the same modules, plus, by building 2K, 4K and 6K modules in the same footprint, give people a "mix and match" solution .. and if you just fill your racks with 6K units, and have a failure, it allows you to swap out modules rather than whole amps ..

Of course this is totally hypothetical ... I've not seen any solidworks modles for this, and the metalworker up the road hasnt just delivered half a dozen module boxes and the 2 channel case. That would be just crazy talk LOL
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 1:04pm
I do like to capture the cymbals with the comp, but I do not like the sound of a 2" at full belt - although trying to get the cymbals lifted up with the cd I find I keep wanting a slightly lower Xover point.  I think Mykeys plan for 8" horn with bung is becoming more appealing (to me).
re:Line Arrays, have heard some truly aweful sounding systems, but invariably they are probably good systems used in stupid situations (i.e., firing directly at an opposing wall in too small a venue).  Would like to hear one run properly.

edit - question, what happened to your sig Cillia?

Edited by burningbush - 24 February 2010 at 1:06pm
music is the message
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 2:08pm
What  do you guys think of this:

I'm planning a three way system as follows:
2" High JBL 2540SL, etc (2K up)
2x15" midbass driver (80Hz to 2K)
18-21" horn loaded bass (prob 186 - 40-80Hz)

I have heard some swag that with the new tech (neo magnets , kevlar cones, inside outside coil winding techniques, etc.,) there is really no need for 4 way tops. I personally am partial to 15"/12": Midbass with 10" midbass under a 2" comp with bullet for VHF playing the range from 80Hz up..
- But I'm being told I'm old school & old tech....

Looking at 18 Sound, and RCF midbass 15's for example the graphs seem to suggest that it is possible to run mids that low and that high simultaneously.

My question: The old rule about not running speakers more than 10X the frequency (in this case the max would be 800Hz for the 15 midbass driver using this rule), how would it apply here?

Your thoughts?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 3:15pm
One immediate problem there might be a lack of dispersion from the 15" at 2k. Sure it will go that high when you are stood right in front of it, but it probably just won't 45 degrees off to the side. So people on the edges of the room might get a "scooped-out" sound, lacking hi mids. 
This is one of the things a phase plugged waveguide helps with - spreading out the upper end of the frequency range, where the radiated energy is coming mostly from the VC/dustcap and not the outer area of the cone. This can have the effect of apparently raising the upper limit of frequency response of the driver when measured off-axis, even though that's not exactly what is happening. Bit like what CD horns do for compression drivers.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 5:17pm

Originally posted by tallmike tallmike wrote:

LOL

oh jeez

Hehehe :) .. well you know, just saying .. trouble with class D is there are so many design options ...

Lets take a *completely*  hypothetical design scenario :)

their are 4 real areas to consider in a class D amp,
1) PSU
2) switching speed
3) output topology
4) output filter

the rest is failry standard control and protection that anyone who has designed amps or servo drives will be familiar with.

big switchmode PSU is a failry mature technology theses days, it shouldnt cause too many issues

switching speed is coming up, new devices around that are faster and more efficient .. this means things are gettign smaller!

output topology is a big area ... so many to choose from .. my fave though is grounded bridge ... you take a standar "full bridge" driver , and ground one side, then let the psu float up and down. The downside is you need 1 psu per channel, but it has other benefits ... its still bridgeable, you don't get rail pumping like you do in half-bridge designs.

Having 1 psu per channel means it is sensible to build the channels as "blocks" ... drop 2 into a case and voila .. a 12K ...  drop 4 into a case and .. there you go .. a 4x6K .. bridgeable as 2 x 12K

now ... heres the thing .. if you put a pair of 6K modules in a 2U case, they dont quite fill it vertically .. but they pretty much fill the floor area ... basically, each module ends up being half a rack wide ...   you cant just stand them edge on and put 4 in a box, as the box ends up too tall, and you dont cover all the floor ... so what to do .. one idea was to effectively folding them in half ... PSU on one side, amp on the other in a box 3U high, and 1/4 of a rack wide ... when in 4 channel mode, and 2U high and 1/2 a rack wide with the PSU and amp side-by-side in 2 channel mode .. but that would have meant different modules for 2 and 4 channel amps ..  so on to plan B

Plan B is to make the module 1/2 a rack wide and sort of L shaped in section .. half od i 2 U high (with the caps and Big Stuff in it ... half of it 1U high with the "other bits" ... in 2 channel mode, you get 2 modules on the bottom of the amp, in 4 channel mode you get 2 on the bottom, 2 on the top ... with the 2 U bots of the upper amps sitting over the 1U bits of the lower amps giving a total of 3U ..  all the connectors  could be mounted on the modules themselves .. picking up their audio inputs from the front panel, which has the DSP and volume controls.

The big advantage of this is that you can make 4 or 2 channel units up from the same modules, plus, by building 2K, 4K and 6K modules in the same footprint, give people a "mix and match" solution .. and if you just fill your racks with 6K units, and have a failure, it allows you to swap out modules rather than whole amps ..

Of course this is totally hypothetical ... I've not seen any solidworks modles for this, and the metalworker up the road hasnt just delivered half a dozen module boxes and the 2 channel case. That would be just crazy talk LOL

How Odd you'd be talking about doing it... and at the same time Andy is talking about it.... so you DON'T know Andy and he Doesn't know you???? lol

Will this 'amp' have a 63a plug on the back! LOL

You've got a fair way to go, Mike, keep plugging away
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 5:26pm
I think that the modern 6" or 8" mid horns that are often preferred against large compression drivers, are suprisingly close to compression drivers, tigh compression, high tech phase rings & plugs, really low xmax, high fs and some manufacturers use drivers that have sealed chassis.

So it is mainly paper vs. metal thing?
VentureSound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

I think that the modern 6" or 8" mid horns that are often preferred against large compression drivers, are suprisingly close to compression drivers, tigh compression, high tech phase rings & plugs, really low xmax, high fs and some manufacturers use drivers that have sealed chassis.

So why then, if they are so similar? Distortion? What's the REAL difference?

Anyone...
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 6:25pm
Metal diaphragms tend to ring, paper cones tend dampen themselves better.  Mylar is a good alternative, the BMS drivers use polyester, very tight transient response, dosent quite have the HF extension of a titanium diaphragm though.  B&C do a paper coned compression driver, i think this is what FK1 are using in the res 1.

Edit, id add that metal diaphragm compression drivers have come a long way since the 80s, its a personal choice though.

Im on the lookout for some BMS 4590s so i can directly compare with my AX88s, its hard to decide without having both to play with.

Edited by Timebomb - 24 February 2010 at 6:29pm
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

it would certainly seem so.
if you take a look at some of the hifi bods they would probably argue that the aim of using a metallic or more importantly rigid diaphragm is to shift break up resonances out of the human hearing range, and this is true when loaded into free air.

however when the stress is applied in a high compression ratio horn where the diaphragm is meant to be more or less constant excursion the diaghrpam can be stressed by uneven (non conical) horn loading of the diaphragm and caused to aplly force unevenly on the diaphragm this causes break up. with a paper cone the malleability allows any break up to be somewhat tempered the stiff compression driver doesn't.

in reference to line array horns they are the worst offenders for compromising on an ideal horn in order to achieve a constant coverage, as such they will apply the greatest uneven loading and detriment the compression drivers sound the most.

on the plus side new developments in materials tech (such as bms) means the break up in comp drivers might be less harsh in the future but it still comes down to the compromise between a perfect horn and audience coverage.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 6:35pm
Radian's aluminium comps are lovely

Beyma's polyester ones work too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>