Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confiscated Soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32true Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confiscated Soundsystem
    Posted: 16 January 2018 at 5:00pm
Talking out of curiosity here, but what generally happens if a soundsystem is confiscated by the police? Is there any chance of getting it back? Anyone had any experience with this? 
Battered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 5:16pm
Depends if it's yours or a rental company's.
Touching cloth at 200 mph
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 5:25pm
In the States, the Police generally holds it for a month and you can get it back once the month is over. You will need to go to court in which, the Judge will either throw out the case or you will pay a fine pending on the circumstances. That is of course, if you have a clean record. If you do not pick it up, they will either sell it at a Police Auction or destroy it.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Battered Battered wrote:

In law, not really. That becomes a separate civil matter to the criminal investigation. It can work but it depends on the particular circumstances, constabulary etc etc. If it’s evidence in an open case they often hold it until the charges are made and they don’t tend to store it very well, think damp and cold if not outright in the wet.

You takes your chances, to be short.
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 7:10pm
I had mine seized from an illegal party....the police actually showed up before the music started and said we could do it but some shit went down at about 10am so one of the rig owners called the police and everything got seized.

I contacted them right away and said my kit had been hired out and that I didn't know it was for an illegal party. I got my stuff back but only after a few months...as they wanted to hold on to it all as 'evidence' to be shown in court....not sure why a photo wasn't sufficient as I can't see them dragging in a load of scoops to a court room....

Was easy enough getting them back, but the container the police were storing it all in had big rusty holes in the roof and leaked...my scoops came back covered in mould, and my mate's amp was written off completely. Currently in the process of claiming compensation (which a policeman suggested) but it will be a very long and slow process...babylon fiyah bun.

Edited by KingGwarn - 16 January 2018 at 7:11pm
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
Battered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 2:05am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

In law, not really. That becomes a separate civil matter to the criminal investigation. It can work but it depends on the particular circumstances, constabulary etc etc. If it’s evidence in an open case they often hold it until the charges are made and they don’t tend to store it very well, think damp and cold if not outright in the wet.

You takes your chances, to be short.

WTF are you on about? 

Nobody mentioned "In law", and then you go off on one as if I was suggesting that he claims he's a rental company. Jesus, I've heard of reading between the lines but you seem to have misread something I wrote and come up with something completely different.
Touching cloth at 200 mph
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 2:10am
Originally posted by KingGwarn KingGwarn wrote:

I had mine seized from an illegal party....the police actually showed up before the music started and said we could do it but some shit went down at about 10am so one of the rig owners called the police and everything got seized.

I contacted them right away and said my kit had been hired out and that I didn't know it was for an illegal party. I got my stuff back but only after a few months...as they wanted to hold on to it all as 'evidence' to be shown in court....not sure why a photo wasn't sufficient as I can't see them dragging in a load of scoops to a court room....

Was easy enough getting them back, but the container the police were storing it all in had big rusty holes in the roof and leaked...my scoops came back covered in mould, and my mate's amp was written off completely. Currently in the process of claiming compensation (which a policeman suggested) but it will be a very long and slow process...babylon fiyah bun.

LOL
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 3:32pm

Nobody mentioned "In law"

Pretty sure that if somethings been confiscated by the police then it is entirely 'in law' and the assumptions, musings, pipedreams, etc. of some tosspot on an internet forum will be so far from the process of recovery that it barely warrants mentioning...

Kyle was making a very prudent and concise point that the law really doesn't care WHO it belongs to.
If it's related to current charges being brought then it will be held in evidence.
The police are under no obligation to take care of equipment seized under evidence beyond the ability for it to be shown in evidence.
IF at the end of it's tenure as evidence it is recovered by persons who can prove ownership AND unknowing involvement in the circumstances surrounding the charges, THEN you can apply for reimbursement over damages sustained... Note 'apply', not necessarily 'get'.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 3:57pm
LOL Woody!
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
PolymorphicMark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolymorphicMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 6:46pm
Not much the police do is in law these days, especially since on the 23rd of March 2001 article 61 of Magna Carta 1215 was invoked (yes our constitution). Most of the legislation the police enforce is un lawful and can be proven so.

Put it this way most, if not all police forces and courts are corporations now that are registered at the  companies house. Thus making the whole set up unconstitutional.

This is why common law courts have just started back up http://www.commonlawcourt.com/
Free to do what i WANT
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 4:22pm
Call/hassle email the police station every day, ask who is dealing with the case, then email and call them, ask for the system back asap, as it is needed for your daily business and will cause loss of revenue, even so expect them to lie and frustrate you in every way they can. You need to prove your innocence and that you are an affected upstanding small business in this.

My best advice is to speak to Bindmans or another pro activist law firm, they've sorted me out with pro-bono advice and legal letters.

If you can prove your innocence or Police incompetence, then definitely contact a decent law firm.

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 8:59pm
i dont see how anyone can dry hire a system without knowing what its for or where its going.... the idea you're just blindly letting someone take thousands of kit to a mystery event [unless you really know them well/trust them] is foreign to me. Using 'its a hire' as an excuse is oldschool, and unsurprisingly the law is wise to it too. Surely you would want to know the venue size/capacity, event type etc etc, make sure what they're taking is suitable as ultimately they will blame your kit if its not up to the job, or worse, break it.

As has been said, its the hirees responsibility for any damage, loss or delay of kit return. A horrible civil court process which takes ages and doesnt guarantee results.

Just be smart, make sure your events are legit or you have enough revenue coming in from questionable events to cover your losses. Believe alternative income is how the traditional free party system model works.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>