Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Couple more questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couple more questions.
    Posted: 05 September 2006 at 8:42pm

Hello.

The plans quote a dispersion of 40X25, but I see that the P Audio horn is 60X40, is this right?

Also, I've got a couple of B&C 12 PLB 76 drivers. How will they perform in an MT121?

Many thanks. Rich

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2006 at 8:26am
The dispersion limitation will be wholly dependant on the horn you choose for the compression driver.

The horn for the 12" is not capable of controlling the dispersion effectively at the frequencies it plays
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2006 at 9:04am
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

The horn for the 12" is not capable of controlling the dispersion effectively at the frequencies it plays

is that what you've found norty? perhaps it's because they're odd-ball 10" jobs, but i find the upper end of the cone's output seems to be governed by the first part of the flare on my cabs. the dispersion is most definitely not 60 degrees up at the 1k region, with beaming starting to get really noticeable above that point. you can either array them so you get comb filtering or gaps in the response, the choice is yours!

james.
mardy hippy.
Richard Hart View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2006 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

The dispersion limitation will be wholly dependant on the horn you choose for the compression driver.

I think you've missed the point norty.

I understand that it's largely down to the comp, and I'm asking about the reccomended P audio horn on the plan. The horn is 60X40, larger than the quoted dispersion of the box. Is this down to the horn being changed from when the box was changed from PD/Beyema to P audio, or is it because of the horn's behaviour abouve a certain frequency etc...

Many thanks. Rich

Edit: Can anybody comment on the B&C?

Edited by Rich - 06 September 2006 at 2:22pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2006 at 6:41pm
That B&C isn't really a horn driver.  12PE32 or 12MH32 would be much better.  Will work (make a fair amount of noise) obviously but the response/efficiency might not be as good as the specc'ed drivers.
Richard Hart View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2006 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

That B&C isn't really a horn driver.  12PE32 or 12MH32 would be much better.  Will work (make a fair amount of noise) obviously but the response/efficiency might not be as good as the specc'ed drivers.

Spot on, cheers Chris.
 Post Reply Post Reply