Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coupling reflex bins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coupling reflex bins
    Posted: 23 June 2019 at 10:58am
Hi all

I’ve seen lots of posts about certain bins only really working (or at least working at their best) in multiples. I understand that putting two bins next to each other gives you an additional 3dB on the output and they go lower too. 

Does this apply to reflex bins?

The reason I’m asking is I currently have a pair of TRS-118’s, which are lovely and very big. For the smaller gigs, I’ve got a pair of BRS-12’s which have blown me away - I didn’t know that you could get such a sound from such a small driver and box. I was toying with the idea of replacing my 118’s with another pair (or 2) of the BRS-12’s. Then I can take the number of bass cabs that I need

Is this a stupid idea? You can be blunt, but I’d appreciate an explanation of why! Thanks all
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 11:20am
I may be corrected on this but here is my understanding. 

Pretty much all sub cabinets couple to some degree. Doubling the subs in a stack gives you +6 db - 3db from the extra power handling and 3db from gained efficiency. This includes reflex, FLH, BPH, tapped horns, scoops etc. Not sure about band-pass caps like the X1, someone else can comment on that. 

Not all subs will gain low end extension, only designs that will benefit from the increased mouth area.

Designs that benefit from the increased mouth area are typically FLH or BPH, they are designed with a horn length long enough to support a larger mouth area than a single cabinet provides. From what I understand this is a design compromise intended to reduce the overall volume of the cab, but the cabs are not intended to be used in singles and it isn't really an issue in multiples. 

Once the combined mouth area is large enough to reach the maximum low end extension allowed by the horn length, gains in low end extension diminish greatly. A block of 50 1850 horns are not going to reach 30hz flat for example. 

Edited by citizensc - 23 June 2019 at 11:21am
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 1:09pm
Cool, thanks.

That explains it. I'll keep my 118's Smile
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
 Post Reply Post Reply