Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crest 8001 4 ohm bridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2020 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Thomann TSA4-1300 bridged will drive 2 off 8ohm drivers with “surprising” results, for modest money and 3 year warranty. Well worth a try, if you don't like it, you just send it back. I doubt you would.

Got my mind made up mate.

Will try one of the most serious lightweights ever made, then if that doesn't give me what I want, will try transformer.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
tilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 12:20am
Hi guys,

I was hoping you could help me out here. I have two of these amps. One had a burnt output relay on one side which was an easy fix the other one i had to rebuild one output stage completely. It had a burnt pcb at place and many output transistors and resistors failed. Long story I put it all back now and both channels works fine. I am wondering however what the next steps will be. I d need to test the amps somehow, how do i do this without the load resistors. Will I need to bias all channels, the one a rebuilt perhaps is a no brainier but how about  the others  ? How do I know if capacitors failing, without removing them one by one and testing them?   I would like the amps to be safe to operate the least of course if i could restore them to factory spec that would be amazing   for now however safety is my first concern. 
  One thing I noticed the amp that i fixed on one channel seem to not to have a working soft start. What I mean is as soon I press the power on button at the front all the relays pull in including the output relays and the supply relays. It also causes a pop on the connected speaker. How do I start investigating this?

I consider myself lucky to be able to have the none working side fixed so far as I have no previous experience in fixing amplifiers. I do have a large bag enthusiasm thought and i am good at taking my time when it comes to complex issues like this. It took me about 3 months to get to this stage.  I have the time and the patience I only need your advice which of course will be highly appreciated .
tilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 2:35pm
Following up from my questions. I started looking around on eBay for dummy loads. I m not sure if what I am looking at is actually suitable for this purpose. Would these work: 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Resistance-Dummy-Load-Audio-1000W-4-8-16-ohm-aluminium-shell-braking-resistor-UK/223769625570?var=522499714303

I am thinking of buying two 8ohm ones. With that I could test both side @ 8hms at the same time or one side @4ohms with them in parallel Will the above resistors work I wonder?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 3:34pm
Yes - those look ok.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
tilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 3:49pm
Perfect! Thanks Earplug !  Got a pair of those. Looking forward to start testing. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 4:08pm
No problem. And maybe screw them down onto some Alu - and/or stick a fan on them. They can get hot.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
tilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 4:26pm
Good Idea, I have a couple of spare fans at home I will stick them on top. How would I go about testing the amp with these. Is there a  suggested time limit I can ran the amp with these or as long as the amp able to ? ( I suppose this is the aim of the test isnt it ) What is too hot for these ?  How will i notice when something starts going wrong if anything ?  
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by tilla tilla wrote:

Good Idea, I have a couple of spare fans at home I will stick them on top. How would I go about testing the amp with these. Is there a  suggested time limit I can ran the amp with these or as long as the amp able to ? ( I suppose this is the aim of the test isnt it ) What is too hot for these ?  How will i notice when something starts going wrong if anything ?  

When testing, I usually let the amp under test run for 20-30 minutes. That should show up any problems.

And you know something's going wrong when the magic smoke appears!!  LOL

OR:-

Get a couple of these to keep track of the temperatures -

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
tilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by tilla tilla wrote:

When testing, I usually let the amp under test run for 20-30 minutes. That should show up any problems.

And you know something's going wrong when the magic smoke appears!!  LOL

OR:-

Get a couple of these to keep track of the temperatures -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Digital-LCD-Display-Thermometer-Temperature-Meter-Temp-Sensor-With-Probe/193007314151?hash=item2cf021e4e7:g:ykIAAOSwwgddNXOk - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Digital-LCD-Display-Thermometer-Temperature-Meter-Temp-Sensor-With-Probe/193007314151?hash=item2cf021e4e7:g:ykIAAOSwwgddNXOk

Thanks again Earplug much appreciated.  I have an infrared thermometer which i was planning to use and will also get a couple of the ones you suggest. That looks a very handy tool for such cheap money.  in anyways I suppose I want to see if all output  transistors warm up and have the same temperature between them, correct ?  Ive seen videos guys touching transistors and testing by hand. How hot are they meant to be ? Or its the only important thing is they all are roughly on the same temperature ? 

Edited by tilla - 24 November 2020 at 6:08pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 6:51pm
The output transistors should all be around the same temperature. It would be odd if one was a lot hotter.

Testing (carefully) by hand is ok - but I think that 40º or 50º will burn, so using a probe is far better.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123