Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crest CA6 bridged output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

There is no reason why you cannot customize such a tool using one Speakon connector on one end and a Binding Posts on the other end. Customization is very common with sound systems that are not catering to the corporate market.

Best Regards,

It's a fair point, Elliot. Actually, the board still has the binding post holes and traces and the back panel has the 4 holes in it. They are just covered over by the EU version sticker, so it would be fairly easy to add binding posts in addition to the Speakon sockets. I would have to do 4 amps for my project though...
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 11:54pm
I think I see your point now, they put a dedicated Bridged connector on the thing and could have wired it any way they wanted, but instead of doing it it so a standard straight thru Speakon cable can be used they force you to build a custom.. which is pretty dumb.. completely defeats the point of having a dedicated connector. I would be possible to wire the bridged output to both pairs on the NL4 too, but that would be asking too much I bet. 

On my Yamaha amps both outputs appear on Ch1 speakon so a custom cable would be required to access bridged output, but I built a patch panel for the amp rack with connectors prewired to address this so I don't need a special cable or an adapter. 

Edited by Conanski - 09 March 2022 at 11:58pm
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 1:52pm

Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I do like Speakons, but this sort of thing was much easier with the binding post version.
  The manual says pins 1+&2+ for bridged out, but looking at the board inside I can see that all 4 pins are soldered for that socket.

If it follows the same principal as the QSC EX 4000;

Single Speakon Socket Stereo Mode

1+ Positive Left Channel
1 - Negative Left Channel

2+ Positive Right Channel
2 - Negative Right Channel

Single Speakon Socket Bridged Mono

1+ Positive Left Channel

Best Regards,

EX4000 Methinks you will find the channel a & b outputs are each 1+/1- whereas single speakon socket use's 1+ & 2+ in bridge mode AND 1+/1- & 2+/2- when in in two channel mode 

As for the OP I would suggest unless your cable runs are over 25m then a single run of 4mm then link the cabs rather than 2 runs of 2 x 2.5mm 

Edited by 4D - 10 March 2022 at 1:53pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I do like Speakons, but this sort of thing was much easier with the binding post version.
  The manual says pins 1+&2+ for bridged out, but looking at the board inside I can see that all 4 pins are soldered for that socket.

If it follows the same principal as the QSC EX 4000;

Single Speakon Socket Stereo Mode

1+ Positive Left Channel
1 - Negative Left Channel

2 - Negative Right Channel

Single Speakon Socket Bridged Mono

1+ Positive Left Channel

Best Regards,

EX4000 Methinks you will find the channel a & b outputs are each 1+/1- whereas single speakon socket use's 1+ & 2+ in bridge mode AND 1+/1- & 2+/2- when in in two channel mode 

As for the OP I would suggest unless your cable runs are over 25m then a single run of 4mm then link the cabs rather than 2 runs of 2 x 2.5mm 

One of the reasons I said single socket. The QSC EX 4000 offers three Speakon sockets like the Crest CA 6. Both follow the same wiring configuration upon reading the CA 6 Manual. 

QSC was the first USA Amplifier manufacture to adapt Speakon on their top of the line series (EX) around 1987. That series was aimed directly to compete against Crown's Macro-tech Series which, dominated the USA touring market in the 1980's. The amount of money Crown made from the Macro-tech 2400... Ridiculous. 

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 10 March 2022 at 3:28pm
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12