Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crest Pro 7200 repair - worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crest Pro 7200 repair - worth it?
    Posted: 24 January 2022 at 8:35pm
I have been given a whole load of bits today and amongst them were a fully working CA6 that was supposed to go into protect mode and a 7200. 

I pulled the lid off the 7200 as it rattled and i don't yet have the weird rectangular IEC type power connector. One of the lid screws (base FFS, why is that amp built upside down?) was missing - always a sign that someones been in before. Everything looks fine apart from the grey cap that seems to have come loose from what looks like the PFC/Mains filter area. 

Whats the score with these amps? I've never come across them before. I know the CA6 and going by the power of the 7200, the two would drive my bi amped monitors quite nicely. Will it fire up with that cap out? And is it worth repairing?

Cheers. 

blah blah blah blah blah......
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2022 at 10:18pm
yes that's part of the RFI filter, it'll work without it but I would replace it as and when. It's designed to stop the psu switching noise from radiating out of the amp.
I'm sure the somewhat heavy PCB was designed to hang upside down by its fixing lugs for a good reason but up til now it only seems to make the SMD components pop off in the vicinity of the rivets whenever you go over a speed hump and the pcb flexes.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2022 at 9:13am
I have a 9200 that has served me well for quite a while now. I also repaired one for a friend recently and the "all-in-one" PCB is a PITA - and obviouly done to reduce costs, but the amps in the series are generally ok and still reliable. Definitely worth trying to fix and get going again.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2022 at 8:32pm
Okay, so i bodged a few spade connectors onto a wire and plugged the 7200 in and it sits there just with the ACL lights on, no relays click, no sound comes through. Someone has pulled out all the screws holding most of the important parts in place (PCB, metal shield around PSU etc) so someone has at least started to take it a part. Any ideas where to look first?

Cheers.
blah blah blah blah blah......
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2022 at 9:15am
The obvious is to check all the output devices and the drivers for them.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply