Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover point?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikael h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossover point?
    Posted: 05 July 2006 at 5:30pm

how low can a MT122 go? can it go down at 150hz-160hz??

And which is the best crossoverpoint between the mid and the driver?
Can't find any answer on this
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 7:59pm
The MT122 is probably just about useable to 160Hz, 180-200Hz would probably be more comfortable for them.

Crossover between the 12" and the compression driver should probably be in the region of 1.6kHz.  Depending on the compression driver it might be possible to go a little lower but you will start to run out of headroom on the top end.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 12:18am
between 1k and 2.5k like ceharden say's depend's on what driver you are using?
although some drivers will go to 500hz but i wouldn't recomend it
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 5:10am
I use my MT122s between 120Hz and 1.2-1.5Khz (P-Audio SN12b) and the 1.2K up is a Beyma CP800Ti

FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk
mikael h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikael h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 4:02pm
I thinking on use one P-audio C12-300MB in each cab with one BM-D750 driver with the horn PH-4528.
What do you think about this setup?
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 4:46pm
I use a beyma CP550 in mine and crossover at 850hz and drive 1 of those paralleled with 2 fane slots with 700w from a PLX3402

At the bottom end i cross at 160hz to HD15's.

The higher you cross the 12" the more directional they become.

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 6:12am
Originally posted by mikael h mikael h wrote:

I thinking on use one P-audio C12-300MB in each cab with one BM-D750 driver with the horn PH-4528.
What do you think about this setup?

I think it's not a MT122 at all....

The P-Audio C12-300mb is a decent driver and one of the ones recommended by Rog for the design...
Not heard the BM D750, though, although the SN750 is a fantastic unit....

I currently have a pair of MT122s built as per Rogs' design on this site and loaded P-Audio SN12b and Beyma CP800Ti
These currently go alongside my OHM TRS212 cabs that are fairly similar in config, having 2 12" mids and a 1.4" compression driver on a CD horn...

However, as soon as the silly amount of events over the next couple of months subside, I will be building another pair of MT122s to match the first...Only these will be built as a single 12" and the 2" comp driver in one box and a single 12" driver in a seperate box...

Then, for smaller events, a single 12" +2" cab will be enough, but the extra 12" can go on top of the first cab to make (effectively) a complete MT122 and it will match the existing all-in-one design other than about 1" extra in height...

I suspect that the single 12" +2" cab will sound fine on its own, but it will be a suck-it-and-see effort....
FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 6:33am
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

I use a beyma CP550 in mine and crossover at 850hz and drive 1 of those paralleled with 2 fane slots with 700w from a PLX3402

At the bottom end i cross at 160hz to HD15's.

The higher you cross the 12" the more directional they become.

But those are with phase plugs....Not really relevent to MT122s, IMO...

I've tried both lower and higher....
Going to a <1Khz crossover to the compression drivers means the power handling of those comp drivers starts to go waaay down...Not only does that make me feel uncomfortable in that I'm worried about damaging them, they also start to sound very hard and forced....
The 12" handle up to about 1.7Khz without too much directivity/beaming issues....Above that level, though, they do start to sound a bit honky and very directional and it seems to effect the whole of the range in which they work in, too...

At the lower end, I've again tried both lower and higher....Lower, well they just don't reproduce the frequencies very well below about 100Hz there is almost nothing...However, it doesn't seem to effect the overall quality of the sound or the apparant power handling....If the programme is very bass heavy and you go to, say, 80Hz, the 12"s start to "burr" and crackle a tad...sounds not very nice...

I use them 120Hz (or so...depends on the actual application) above PD1850 horns....I also use them 220Hz ish above Selenium HB1505C1 horns....The advantage of crossing higher seems to be that they need much less power to acheive the same volume levels....Soundquality, though, isn't so different, although the Seleniums deliver loads more punch in the 100-220Hz range...
FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk
mikael h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikael h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Fushion Julz Fushion Julz wrote:

I will be building another pair of MT122s to match the first...Only these will be built as a single 12" and the 2" comp driver in one box and a single 12" driver in a seperate box...

Thats what i'm thinking to do. It's mutch easier to handle and I don't really need all that power with two 12" driver all the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply