Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover settings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

A BW24 filter is suggested for the sub high pass as it is steep enough to protect the driver below tuning and since the hump in response occurs at tuning frequency where driver excursion is minimum it's of no danger and is a free bass boost.

A BW 24 high pass does not give a bass boost. Its only the combined response of the BW high pass and low pass at a crossover frequency that gives a peak. LR 24 filters have a more gentle slope that avoids the peak at the crossover frequency.
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

It's going to be the combined tuning frequency of driver and box although the box will dominate that partnership, my testing suggests the ideal filter will be 1-2hz below tuning for the best balance of excursion control with the least impact on low end response.  I usually set this filter with a test mic showing system response with pink noise and bring up the filter until it just begins to eat into the lowend response. Without that kit available setting the filter at the box's tuning frequency is safest.

Although this advice is 'safe' I would suggest that Hornresp simulations will show a lower frequency than this and excursion should be visually verified where possible,
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

A BW 24 high pass does not give a bass boost.
Correct.. maybe I should have stated that differently, the BW filter produces a sharper corner response than the LR version.

And I have to amend my earlier response about the high pass frequency it should be 6-10hz below tuning to not cut into the lowend response too much

Edited by Conanski - 24 June 2018 at 9:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12