Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossover
    Posted: 04 March 2019 at 7:52pm
Just wondering what you would recommend. Buying a crossover or creating it myself. 

Thanks in regards. Smile

APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2019 at 8:03pm
I think that you should buy an active crossover with very good limiters, especially if you will be using a 30Hz speaker at 20Hz.
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2019 at 8:16pm
Standard stock crossovers rarely work as expected.
Firstly the crossover will probably be set to work with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms while the drivers will probably be nothing like that impedance at the crossover frequency. This can be compensated for by adding a zobel network (a resistor and capactor in series) added across the driver terminals that ensures that the crossover sees something like a 8 ohm impedance.
Secondly the drivers may not match in efficiency and typically require a resistor network to attenuate the HF driver to match the output of the LF driver.
The driver may also have resonant peaks or a natural roll off in its response that a stock crossover will not take any account of. So even if you buy a stock crossover it will probably still need some work to make it function as intended.
If you have the skills it would be best designed from scratch
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2019 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

Standard stock crossovers rarely work as expected.
Firstly the crossover will probably be set to work with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms while the drivers will probably be nothing like that impedance at the crossover frequency. This can be compensated for by adding a zobel network (a resistor and capactor in series) added across the driver terminals that ensures that the crossover sees something like a 8 ohm impedance.
Secondly the drivers may not match in efficiency and typically require a resistor network to attenuate the HF driver to match the output of the LF driver.
The driver may also have resonant peaks or a natural roll off in its response that a stock crossover will not take any account of. So even if you buy a stock crossover it will probably still need some work to make it function as intended.
If you have the skills it would be best designed from scratch

Thanks. I think I will try to design a crossover myself with a little help from a friend.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 8:57am
A crossover for what? Bass - or mid/top?

In any case, save yourself time & money and just buy a 3-way active. Inductor coils for passive crossovers aren´t cheap. You should be able to pick up a second-hand active for less than the price of the components for a 3-way passive.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 9:16am
The answers don’t match. First says I shall make and second says buy. What do I have to do.

But thanks earplug
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 10:22am
I think that Xoc1 is talking about a passive crossover, where the stock units you can buy are a compromise and really need 'tuning' for the drivers you have. I am talking about an active (electronic) device - which is really far better. Have a read around about why!   Smile

Even a cheapie like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProSound-Stereo-Active-Crossover/223191618038?hash=item33f741d1f6:g:GA0AAOSw9w1bxZ78

should be ok for party, etc use.

Or:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citronic-CX34-Active-2-3-4-Way-Crossover/202606923393?epid=1205419923&hash=item2f2c504e81:g:8ucAAOSwIgNXrQG0

Etc, etc...

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 10:44am
From previous posts I guess you are a newbie to sound systems. In case you don't know the difference between active and passive it's as follows.

Passive crossovers act on the signal after it has left the amplifier. Passive crossovers for low bass are particularly hard to build. The components are very expensive and even then you will incur losses in power.

Active crossovers act on the signal before it reaches the amplifier so no losses incurred. However you will need separate amplifiers for bass, mid and treble to go fully active.

A good compromise would be to have passive crossovers in the mid/top cabinets and active for the bass. In this way you can use one side of the amplifier for bass, and the other side to feed your mid/top cabinets. Of course the system will be mono rather than stereo.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I think that Xoc1 is talking about a passive crossover, where the stock units you can buy are a compromise and really need 'tuning' for the drivers you have. I am talking about an active (electronic) device - which is really far better. Have a read around about why!   Smile

Even a cheapie like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProSound-Stereo-Active-Crossover/223191618038?hash=item33f741d1f6:g:GA0AAOSw9w1bxZ78

should be ok for party, etc use.

Or:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citronic-CX34-Active-2-3-4-Way-Crossover/202606923393?epid=1205419923&hash=item2f2c504e81:g:8ucAAOSwIgNXrQG0

Etc, etc...
Thank you. I think i will buy something like that you recommended.
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

From previous posts I guess you are a newbie to sound systems. In case you don't know the difference between active and passive it's as follows.

Passive crossovers act on the signal after it has left the amplifier. Passive crossovers for low bass are particularly hard to build. The components are very expensive and even then you will incur losses in power.

Active crossovers act on the signal before it reaches the amplifier so no losses incurred. However you will need separate amplifiers for bass, mid and treble to go fully active.

A good compromise would be to have passive crossovers in the mid/top cabinets and active for the bass. In this way you can use one side of the amplifier for bass, and the other side to feed your mid/top cabinets. Of course the system will be mono rather than stereo.

Thank you very much. Yes im new to this. So it helped a lot your message.Smile
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:28pm
With all respect, do yourself a big favour and do quite some research before you buy anything.
Not only will you probably regret spending money on something which does not turn out as expected in the end but also the skills to properly run a system without failure (and costs to fix them) are very close to the skills of designing a system. Your questions indicate that you are new to the topic of builindg and running speakers. Give yourself some time and read some papers and books. You learn nothing over night.

I built my first set of PA speakers after almost two years of extensive research including learning modelling and measuring software, meeting soundmen and asking questions on here. And still i would have done quite a lot differently from my perspective today.

Edited by corell - 05 March 2019 at 3:31pm
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

With all respect, do yourself a big favour and do quite some research before you buy anything.
Not only will you probably regret spending money on something which does not turn out as expected in the end but also the skills to properly run a system without failure (and costs to fix them) are very close to the skills of designing a system. Your questions indicate that you are new to the topic of builindg and running speakers. Give yourself some time and read some papers and books. You learn nothing over night.
Thank you. Yes i will 100% read more about audio repleted things. I'ts just easy to ask here on the forum and i also fell like i learn a lot from you people. So i think a mix between those 2 things is good. Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>