Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

With all respect, do yourself a big favour and do quite some research before you buy anything.
Not only will you probably regret spending money on something which does not turn out as expected in the end but also the skills to properly run a system without failure (and costs to fix them) are very close to the skills of designing a system. Your questions indicate that you are new to the topic of builindg and running speakers. Give yourself some time and read some papers and books. You learn nothing over night.

I built my first set of PA speakers after almost two years of extensive research including learning modelling and measuring software, meeting soundmen and asking questions on here. And still i would have done quite a lot differently from my perspective today.
This IS part of his research. He's asking this large database (us!) For advise and guidance... so let's help him with links and walk-through as much as possible
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

This IS part of his research. He's asking this large database (us!) For advise and guidance... so let's help him with links and walk-through as much as possible
Exactly.Tongue
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 3:55pm
Would something like this (Behringer CX2310 V2) be good?

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Visti Visti wrote:

Not the best, but out of stock anyway!

This is better:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/behringer_cx3400_super_x_pro_v2.htm

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by Visti Visti wrote:

Not the best, but out of stock anyway!

This is better:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/behringer_cx3400_super_x_pro_v2.htm

I think that’s the one I will buy. Thanks. Smile
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 6:10pm
Before you buy that.  

Describe the whole system. 

Tops?
Subs?
Amps?

Music played?
Where? Venue size?
Audience size?
For fun or for money?
Budget?

Its great that you're getting lots of bits of information but i think you might get a better big picture and much more focused help if you answer the questions ive posted above.  

For example you could use an fbq3102 which will do a basic active crossover and highpass for the subs if your tops have a built in crossover and give you an eq. They sell for peanuts on Ebay... like £15 to £20 if you keep an eye open.   Or if you're going to do this a bit more seriously go straight in and get s second hand dcx2496 digital signal processor and you're  ready to do all the processing you're likely to need until you jump up to the next level.  It's hard to know which to advise when people havent got a top level idea what you're trying to do and with what kit. 

Hope that helps.  

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 6:17pm
Hi
maybe you stated it somewhere, but you could start by finding out what you are going to do with this before buying something...

if you are really looking for 20 hz this crossover has a fixed subsonic filter at 25hz, you could use a variable one to experiment how low you need while retaining some protection.
generally speaking analog crossovers like this are quite limited, with fixed frequency ranges, so you should really buy one that matches your needs.

be prepared to study a bit or get someone you trust to advise you, or you are going to burn more money than needed - and it's not a cheap game anyway.
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 8:16pm
To both of you. I will need it for a subwoofer(P AUDIO C18-650EL V2). I don't know what parts the others are now. My budget is a little small so i will take it slowly and buy the things when i have enough money.
partya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 8:43pm
With regards to the Behringer CX2310, I would stay away from them (if they are available). I've had 2 relatively new units develop the same faults, rendering them useless. The CX3400 has proved more reliable.

Cheers
Turn it up! Turn what up?
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by partya partya wrote:

With regards to the Behringer CX2310, I would stay away from them (if they are available). I've had 2 relatively new units develop the same faults, rendering them useless. The CX3400 has proved more reliable.

Cheers

Thanks for the warning. Then i will 100% go with the CX3400.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 8:49pm
perhaps some good questions to ask before you go any further with purchases would be:

where am I going to use this equipment (small space/large space/outdoors - will there be noise restrictions, will there be health and safety restrictions)

what size is the audience and what are they expecting (are they expecting a suicide party, a pro production or something inbetweeen - where inbetween)

how much space do I have to store this and how can I transport it - do I have to set it up on my own or will I have help

how much money can I afford to spend now and am I planning on spending more later (you will spend more regardless of your plans)

what other systems have I heard and been impressed with - is something similar attainable - if not whats the best compromise I can afford

if youre taking it seriously then this is not a cheap hobby and it may prove to be a stream of income but is more likely to be a labour of love. the initial investment for a decent system is quite steep

my suggestions would be:

buy a loudspeaker management system like the forementioned behringer dcx2496 it performs a lot of the tasks you will need (crossovers, limiters, eq, time allignment) in one unit and will probably work out cheaper than youll be able to find the individual units youll need to make your rig sound good

its often a better idea to start by selecting the mid/high section and choosing a bass solution that will integrate well with that. 

you may want to consider building/buying something that plays full range which and can be used with or without a sub. later on you could add a more efficient dedicated mid/high and relegate the full range to monitor duties.

most of all, work out what the job you want to do is and what tools you need to do it

Edited by godathunder - 05 March 2019 at 8:51pm
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Visti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Visti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

perhaps some good questions to ask before you go any further with purchases would be:

where am I going to use this equipment (small space/large space/outdoors - will there be noise restrictions, will there be health and safety restrictions)

what size is the audience and what are they expecting (are they expecting a suicide party, a pro production or something inbetweeen - where inbetween)

how much space do I have to store this and how can I transport it - do I have to set it up on my own or will I have help

how much money can I afford to spend now and am I planning on spending more later (you will spend more regardless of your plans)

what other systems have I heard and been impressed with - is something similar attainable - if not whats the best compromise I can afford

if youre taking it seriously then this is not a cheap hobby and it may prove to be a stream of income but is more likely to be a labour of love. the initial investment for a decent system is quite steep

my suggestions would be:

buy a loudspeaker management system like the forementioned behringer dcx2496 it performs a lot of the tasks you will need (crossovers, limiters, eq, time allignment) in one unit and will probably work out cheaper than youll be able to find the individual units youll need to make your rig sound good

its often a better idea to start by selecting the mid/high section and choosing a bass solution that will integrate well with that. 

you may want to consider building/buying something that plays full range which and can be used with or without a sub. later on you could add a more efficient dedicated mid/high and relegate the full range to monitor duties.

most of all, work out what the job you want to do is and what tools you need to do it
Thank you for the good adviceSmile. But i think i will stick with my plan, already bought some parts for the sub. I will look out to see if i find any dcx2496 or something like that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12