Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CROWN 5000VZ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CROWN 5000VZ
    Posted: 07 May 2020 at 9:59pm
Hello good people!
Thank you for any time you're able to put towards this in advance.

I have a Crown 5000VZ with an unusual problem. It doesn't pass sound, here's the LED situation
ODEP - off - both channels
SIGNAL / IOC - ON, GREEN - both channels
Load / Limit - ON, RED - both channels
DC/LF - ON - both channels

The service manual doesn't cover this combination, but the closest one listed suggests that 'the output stage has been damaged in both channels' and that is it.

Things I have done
Checked the flyback diodes for shorts - D596, 507, 508, 509
Checked the driver and pre-driver transistors for shorts and opens
Checked semi conductors 8188-2 and 8187-4 on all output boards
Repaired numerous dead traces on the output boards (corroded by some obscure green compound)
Checked R543 and the output transistors

Would really appreciate any help you good people can offer!

Thanks
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 3:02pm
"I have a Crown 5000VZ with an unusual problem. It doesn't pass sound"

Whats the situation at the output? Put the meter across the speaker terminals ,whats the DC readings on each channel?
Be seeing you.
richardleonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Whats the situation at the output? Put the meter across the speaker terminals ,whats the DC readings on each channel?

Sorry I forgot to include that - 0.8vdc at outputs - so something's very wrong.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 4:37pm
Ok,well it obviously powers up....is the fan running?...on the micro and macrotech 1200/2400, check what voltage you have at the + - regulators on the mainboard. ...im assuming the 5000 mainboard is basically similar in layout to the 2400, so check those regulator readings first.  From memory the 5000 has regulators on the power board,so check what they are reading. Edit....i assume you have checked the on-board fuses? And the little glass one too?

Be very careful powering it up when open, is some high voltages around. If in doubt,get someone qualified in these to check it for you.

Edited by jbl_man - 08 May 2020 at 5:05pm
Be seeing you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 11:54pm
Thanks a lot for your help so far!

The fan is running, though according to the manual it should go down to low RPM after 4 seconds - it doesn't, it remains at full speed. 

All fuses are fine.

Are you referring to the 7915CT regulators on the same board as the fuses? I'll check tomorrow!
msoundsystem View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:40am
Take it to a professional who can service and repair it correctly.. iv seen badly repaired crowns cause major damage to the drivers and the amp its self.. 

Edited by msoundsystem - 09 May 2020 at 9:41am
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 6:12pm
the best tool is the service manual, measure the +/-15V, odep and temp ref. voltages on the test headers on the rear control board. If these are amiss in any way it will give you a better pointer as to what's wrong.
The transformer thermostats can cause the fans to run flat out as can any ODEP voltage that's not in spec, since the speed control is influenced by the ODEP circuit.
Dont worry about small amounts of DC on the outputs, it'll just be a stray voltage because the protect circuit removed the power from the output modules. By switching off the drive to the low-side transistors, the faulty channel(s) lose their ground reference and can't loop any current through the output terminals.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 3:51pm
Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for the responses. Here's the info you asked for.

Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

, so check those regulator readings first.  From memory the 5000 has regulators on the power board,so check what they are reading. 

+15v and -14.8v at both.

Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

the best tool is the service manual, measure the +/-15V, odep and temp ref. voltages on the test headers on the rear control board. If these are amiss in any way it will give you a better pointer as to what's wrong. 
The transformer thermostats can cause the fans to run flat out as can any ODEP voltage that's not in spec, since the speed control is influenced by the ODEP circuit. 
Dont worry about small amounts of DC on the outputs, it'll just be a stray voltage because the protect circuit removed the power from the output modules. By switching off the drive to the low-side transistors, the faulty channel(s) lose their ground reference and can't loop any current through the output terminals.

I left it on for 10 minutes before doing these measurements/adjustments

On TP2
Positive ODEP = 3.01v
The lowest I can adjust the ODEP Set Voltage reference to using R282 is -10.90v.  The manual suggests it should be 11.64v

Negative ODEP = 2.983v
The highest I was able to adjust the ODEP Set Voltage reference to using R291 is +11.81v. The manual suggests it should be 12v

These voltages seem backwards, but I have triple checked my test points and multimeter leads. With respect to ground, i thought that the positive ODEP should be positive and the negative ODEP negative - that's certainly what the manual seems to suggest but mine are reversed.

On TP1
Positive ODEP = 3.51v (out of spec according to the manual)
The lowest I could adjust the ODEP Set Voltage Reference to using R182 was -10.29v. There is no listed value for 3.51v as it is out of spec, but the highest value of 3.09v has an ODEP Set voltage listed at 10.68v.

Negative ODEP = 2.97v
The highest I was able to adjust the ODEP Set Voltage reference to using R191 is +11.52v. The manual suggests it should be 12.12v

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:13am
You're right regarding the ODEP voltages. The +ODEP should be a negative reading and the -ODEP should be a positive reading, both around the 12V mark depending on the temperature of the heatsinks. In a working amp the ODEP adjustments are rarely very far from the centre of the pot.

Under normal conditions the amp gets hotter or takes more current and the ODEP voltage starts to move towards zero. During a hard fault the polarity of the odep can swap over so the +ODEP goes positive and vice versa.
There a re one or 2 typos in the service manual for example the output of the temperature sensing is quoted in mV but it's actually in V.

Next thing then is to check the heatsink temperature measurements, also on the test plug, around 2.8v each. If these are wrong then thats why the ODEPs are wrong.
There are another couple of lv rails to test, I think the diagram refers to them as 'bias supply' or similar, around 2.5V each. They are generated in various ways depending on the board revision, sometimes off the display board (!) and sometimes off the back board.

Obviously with having both channels faulty it's probably an issue common to both sides but it might be the same fault but on each channel, its not unheard of.

Triple check the tracks are all ok, each output transistor bank is monitored for current via sense lines, you can see these radiating out from the transistors where they measure the volt drop across the emitter resistors to control the SOAR via ODEP. Only 1 high reading will put the ODEP out of range on that channel. They're very thin tracks and can corrode, I read earlier you've already seen corrosion on there. Check the thru-hole vias.
I would buzz the tracks through from start to the actual pcb header. I've had tracks fail underneath the header itself. Take into account the low value of the emitter resistors which may make an open track look ok, it's a good idea to lift the little connecting wires that go from the emitter resistors to the pcb so you dont affect the results.

PS Make sure the rear ribbon cables are intact especially regarding corrosion and tearing. The output voltage of the amp is measured just behind the speaker terminals on a little board accessed behind the bottom half-cover and if the output is not sensed properly here it will cause all sorts of fault symptoms. Easily buzzed through from the terminals to the modules. Dont forget to clean the tinned brass pillars in between the output pcbs, they can corrode like mad.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 14 May 2020 at 9:27am
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:55am

You're right regarding the ODEP voltages. The +ODEP should be a negative reading and the -ODEP should be a positive reading, both around the 12V mark depending on the temperature of the heatsinks. In a working amp the ODEP adjustments are rarely very far from the centre of the pot.

Ah good - so that means the polarity of my signals is correct at least.

Next thing then is to check the heatsink temperature measurements, also on the test plug, around 2.8v each. If these are wrong then thats why the ODEPs are wrong.

Are these not the same as the ODEP Null measurements?  on pins 17 and 18? According to the manual these are the heatsink temperature measurements, I have also checked the schematic and can't see anything else you might be referring to. Sorry if I am confused, but I believe I have already measured and stated these as
ON TP2
Positive ODEP = 3.01v
Negative ODEP = 2.983v

On TP1
Positive ODEP = 3.51v (out of spec according to the manual)
Negative ODEP = 2.97v

There are another couple of lv rails to test, I think the diagram refers to them as 'bias supply' or similar, around 2.5V each. They are generated in various ways depending on the board revision, sometimes off the display board (!) and sometimes off the back board. 

I've been searching the schematic and manual for a reference to this and haven't found one. I have performed High-Side and Low-Side Bias checks on the test headers though, on both channels they read 0.00v

Triple check the tracks are all ok, each output transistor bank is monitored for current via sense lines, you can see these radiating out from the transistors where they measure the volt drop across the emitter resistors to control the SOAR via ODEP. Only 1 high reading will put the ODEP out of range on that channel. They're very thin tracks and can corrode, I read earlier you've already seen corrosion on there. Check the thru-hole vias.
I would buzz the tracks through from start to the actual pcb header. I've had tracks fail underneath the header itself. Take into account the low value of the emitter resistors which may make an open track look ok, it's a good idea to lift the little connecting wires that go from the emitter resistors to the pcb so you dont affect the results.

PS Make sure the rear ribbon cables are intact especially regarding corrosion and tearing. The output voltage of the amp is measured just behind the speaker terminals on a little board accessed behind the bottom half-cover and if the output is not sensed properly here it will cause all sorts of fault symptoms. Easily buzzed through from the terminals to the modules. Dont forget to clean the tinned brass pillars in between the output pcbs, they can corrode like mad.

Okay! I'll spend the day doing this today and let you know - I'm pretty sure I have already caught all the dead traces, but i didn't check continuity to the other side of the ribbon headers which is a great idea.

Thank you SO much for all your detailed help so far, and sorry if I am being dense with the rails you mentioned above.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:42pm
the odep voltages are normally around 12V, the 2.5-3v readings are the temp sensors. When checking/adjusting the ODEPs you simply have to refer to the temp readings because it influences where the ODEP voltages sit.

If one of the temps is off the scale then you need to find out why. Dont just null it out on the pot and hope the amp won't notice. The heatsink temps should be approx the same at a cold switch on.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 19 May 2020 at 12:45pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 2:09pm
Well...

I went over the output boards again and followed your continuity checking advice. Sure enough - the ribbon connector on channel 1 had one dead pin. I took it off, fixed the trace and put it back. I then proceeded to resolder almost everything on all four output boards - as it all looked pretty bad. 
The boards look great now, and i'm certain all traces are intact or repaired as necessary. 

I also checked the output terminals as you recommended - one of them on channel 2 was not making a good connection and indeed at the other end on the underside of the amp one of them was completely torn at the connection point. I have fixed both of those problems too. I also removed and checked continuity for every ribbon cable. I am now as confident as I can be that all connections are sound.

I also checked every diode for shorts on the output boards. And checked the transistors in diode mode. 

Sadly... nothing has changed at all. I am still getting the same following measurements at cold turn on.

On TP2
Positive ODEP = 3.01v
The lowest I can adjust the ODEP Set Voltage reference to using R282 is -10.90v.  The manual suggests it should be 11.64v

Negative ODEP = 2.983v
The highest I was able to adjust the ODEP Set Voltage reference to using R291 is +11.81v. The manual suggests it should be 12v

On TP1
Positive ODEP = 3.57v (out of spec according to the manual, and slightly higher than before)
The lowest I could adjust the ODEP Set Voltage Reference to using R182 was -10.29v. There is no listed value for 3.51v as it is out of spec, but the highest value of 3.09v has an ODEP Set voltage listed at 10.68v.

Negative ODEP = 2.97v
The highest I was able to adjust the ODEP Set Voltage reference to using R191 is +11.52v. The manual suggests it should be 12.12v

I recognise your point that there is a fault which is causing these readings to be out of spec, and probably the wider issues with the amp as a whole, but i cannot find the source :(.

I am also still getting 0v on the low-side and high-side bias measurements.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>