Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo 15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 3:18pm
As usual, there is a screw up on the width of the cabinet yet again----Why can't anyone put a little thought into designing cabinets that are 580 mm wide like all the major names that make touring class cabinets do.
You can fit three 580 mm wide cabinets across most panel vans and they also pack so much better into larger trucks as well-----As soon as you design a cabinet that is 600 mm to 620 mm wide then you can only fit two of them across the width of your van---Lets face it, most cabinet designs that hold 12", !5", !8", and 21" drivers do not need to be wider than 580 mm---Just put a bit more thought into design as you can usually make size adjustments elsewhere in order to accomodate the 580 mm standard width. 
COZY PILLOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZY PILLOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 3:40pm

on that thought if the cabinets were 580mm wide would the length or height be increased to compensate and which L or H would be the best way to achieve the same characteristics of the original sizes without affecting the response & tunning etc?Wink 

COZY
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 6:35pm

There are very few 15" and 18" bass drivers that Cubo will not work with. according to simulations  What driver to use would depend on availability and how much power is available. The Delta Pro 18 would be my personal choice if I had an amplifier between 500 and 900 W per cabinet. The PD 186 if I had an amp between 700 and 1250 W(+) per cabinet.

Quote on that thought if the cabinets were 580mm wide would the length or height be increased to compensate and which L or H would be the best way to achieve the same characteristics of the original sizes without affecting the response & tunning etc?
The design is 62x62x62cm meaning: 6,2 x 6,2 x 6,2 = 238 liters. Divided by 5,8 leaves 41,1. I.e. 6 x 7 = 42 (60 by 70 cm) comes close or 41,1^0,5 = 6,41 --> 64,1 cm --> 64,1 x 64,1 x 58 cm.

Best regards Johan
COZY PILLOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZY PILLOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2010 at 9:26am
Thanks Johan. The amps are not an issue. I believe the Pd186 is a very good driver.

Regarding the dimensions. Could the actual height of the cabinet be 58cm so that it could be packed on it's side and the length and width could be 64.1 x 64.1. would this change the cab too much and cause problems with the sound and performance? or did you consider these points when you designed this cab?
I'm guessing the height would be a possible problem because of the postion of the driver there may not be enough room to fit driver in? 

Kindest Regards,

COZY
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2010 at 2:52pm
Quote I believe the Pd186 is a very good driver
+1

Quote Could the actual height of the cabinet be 58cm so that it could be packed on it's side and the length and width could be 64.1 x 64.1
Definately possible, as long as the horn dimensions are kept in check. In all, from 58 towards 62 cm and vice versa implements only small changes.

Quote I'm guessing the height would be a possible problem because of the postion of the driver there may not be enough room to fit driver in? 
A quick glance tells me you would have no problems with drivers up to 23,5 cm. Drivers that are deeper (those are few) could only be placed with the magnet inside the chamber.

Regards Johan

GekoMusic94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GekoMusic94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2010 at 6:42pm
Thanks mobieleWink!!!
Drapetsoniths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drapetsoniths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2010 at 7:09pm

Hi johan,

You mentioned using 18 inch drivers in the cubo and thats what is refered in fsp forum.
(although the designer has mentioned adding 3 cm depth to fit driver)

How do you expect the cubo 15 to work in terms of sensitivity and max spl
with b&c 18ps100?(or another decent 18 inch driver)

Do you think it would still get beaten by 2 mth-30 's?
      one 18 vs 2 12s at about the same volume....

Edited by Drapetsoniths - 23 March 2010 at 7:10pm
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 2:22pm
better in what terms?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drapetsoniths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 3:06pm

Were you refering to me?

I didnt understand the question..
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 3:44pm
yup...I mean what is better for what? I mean spl, velocity, portability, diy friendly, sound colouration, etc...etc...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drapetsoniths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 4:19pm
Do you mean this question?It is clearly statedConfused
Originally posted by Drapetsoniths Drapetsoniths wrote:

How do you expect the cubo 15 to work in terms of sensitivity and max spl
with b&c 18ps100?(or another decent 18 inch driver)

If you mean this one:

Originally posted by Drapetsoniths Drapetsoniths wrote:

Do you think it would still get beaten by 2 mth-30 's?
      one 18 vs 2 12s at about the same volume....

the same terms apply

sensitivity and max spl are the issue (not ultra low extension<45hz)
I think the twelves win on portability but kind of lose at price(important) and lf(not very important).
Both designs seem very diy friendly

Edited by Drapetsoniths - 24 March 2010 at 4:22pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 11:58pm
It is always hard to compare a design with an other if you haven't heard both, especially if one is your own, even though I like to think I'm quite neutral. For that reason I'll show the Hornresp sim of a MTH-30 in 1,0 pi vs. Cubo 18 (Extended) in 2,0 pi. After that some talk will follow why you should choose Cubo anyway ;)

Both SPL's are based upon a voltage input, where the cone excursion around 65-67 Hz reaches Xmax (both calculated the same way). The MTH-30 with PD 12SB30 and Cubo 18 with the B&C 18PS100.

As you can see 2 x the MTH-30 gives the best "bang for cabinet volume". Using an other B&C driver (the 18NW100) would tip the scale in favour of Cubo 18, looking virtually identical to this one:

This last one is Cubo 18 loaded with the 18Sound 18LW2400, their newest ferrite driver. When you figure in power compression (which both B&C and PD do not state) I suspect the scale will be slightly tipped in the favour of the MTH-30 once again, as 2 x 3" VC are likely to have lower power compression then a single 4" VC. However that's why I display the 18LW2400 as it's possibly keeping it's advantage even when corrected for power compression (it's that low).

It should be noted that all my measurements showed that Cubo 15 and 18 drop ~10 Hz lower then HR predicts. As such I would aspect it to have higher SPLmax between 40 and 50 Hz then the MTH-30 (unless that one drops lower as well of course).

Best regards Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 25 March 2010 at 12:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>