Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo 15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrchay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 11:53am

Hi,

Im going to be building 2 Cubo15's which I will load with fane 15-400LF drivers. I hope to have them finished before too long since its such an easy build.

Im choosing the design because it is so simple, and seems to sim well with a large range of drivers. Also its a good compact size.

When I have built the two of them, I will be happy for someone on the forum who is more experienced than me to have a listen or a measure of them even, so that people can be better informed whether the design is good or not. I may have built some tapped horns for comparison by that time as well.

If it does work out well, it could be a really good DIY all-in-one bass box (simple to build, can be loaded with cheap drivers which can later be upgraded).

I going to build it 18mm CHEAP ply or MDF, biscuit joined glued and screwed - I've got high hopes for this one.

toiminto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toiminto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 9:40am
Hello,

I have two kappalite 3015 lf:s and I'm trying to decide what cabinet I should build for them. Is there any real world measurements from cubo15 extended version? Does it drop to 40hz?

Now I have them in demo cabs, ~190 liter reflex tuned to around 40hz. Works like a charm but for the final cabs I'm pondering between a tapped horn, cubo15 (or similar bph/hybrid) and a ported cab. Might also consider a bandpass. I'm going after 40-120hz area with the cab, can be around 200-250l internal max.

Any suggestions ?
http://soundcloud.com/toiminto
COZY PILLOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZY PILLOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:15pm
The Cubo's are a superb cab they do go really low. They are that good that I have to turn the amp down a good bit compared to my old reflex cabs. I have just finished a pair of extended 15's and they are outstanding. I have used a pair of kappa lfa's and they really perform very well. I will post some pics soon.Wink
COZY
toiminto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toiminto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:36pm
If it goes as low as in a reflex cab, then cubo15 would definetly be on my list!

http://soundcloud.com/toiminto
COZY PILLOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZY PILLOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:43pm

I think it goes down to 30hz but I am not sure. Mobiele will keep you right he designed this cab. It was me who built the 18's and the pics are on FSP. I built them for my friend who used a pair of Delta Pro 18a's and they are superb too. 

COZY
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 11:13pm
Hello,

Cubo 15 was designed as a 40 Hz plus cabinet (in singles) and performs as such. For a solid 30 Hz an 18" reflex will do a better job in an cabinet of about equal size but Cubo 15 will have higher sensitivty from ~40 Hz and up (from 50 Hz and up this is ussually quite noticeable).

Cubo 15 could be used with an horn extension to make it drop lower notes as well. For 30 Hz this extension would be 45 - 60 cm. Also as Cubo 12 nears completion, I will build a 30 Hz version of Cubo 15/18. This design is however 1.46 times larger as Cubo 15 (1.39 for Cubo 18).

There are measurements of Cubo 15 Extended, however those results are not in publishable form (yet). The most prominent difference with Cubo 15 Standard (which measurements are published), is that the reponse is flatter for most drivers, included the 3015LF.

Best regards Johan
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 11:18pm
I just realised that V-plating 4 cabinets (2 wide, 2 high) will give close to 30 Hz performance. It would extend the horn path by 44 cm and enlarge the horn mouth up till 2720 cm^2 per cabinet. The Cubo's would have to placed with the mouths together. For 30 Hz performance, this way, I would recommend to use a 15" with a (stated) Xmax of around 9 mm or use Cubo 18 with a sufficient Xmax driver..

Best regards Johan
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 11:12pm
In a few days i will have 18NLW9000 here. I would like to try it in Cubo18. Where can i see the plan Johan?
Has Anyone tried 6 Cubo15's in one stack?
I have 12 KappaPro15LF that i want to find a new home for?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 5:58pm
Lucky you, having tested some of his brothers, it appears to be an excellent driver too. Hope you have some power to spare though. The Cubo 18 plan can be found here: http://www.freespeakerplans.com/cubo-18.html

I have not seen more then 4 Cubo's in a stack up till now. You still could be the first Wink

Having 12 drivers makes a lot of designs interesting imho, assuming they're going to be stacked. In a stack of 12 even the HD15 would probably go low enough for average usage. I do not like to push my own design to much Build Cubo 15 Extended though I think it would be a nice choice.

Best regards Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 07 November 2010 at 6:00pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 9:21pm
Thank you Johan.I also have 12 18Sound 18LW800 :-)
So lot of Cubos at the end if testing goes well.
Do you think performance will improve it the box is a bit deeper then it is now. To extend it to 70cm? Or to make it a bit higher and make the extended part a bit longer towards the front of the box? I hope you understand what i am saying.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 11:10pm
Increasing the depth from 65 cm upto 70 cm will increase the internal volume by 17 liters. I think that both the increase in either percieved depth or output would be minimal.

To extend the horn path even further would yield neither an improved response for the speakers mentioned (all three).

I can send you a PM on tuesday for something that will?

Best regards Johan
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 11:13pm
Cool :-) And thank you for the info.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>