Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo Sub + X-tro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubo Sub + X-tro
    Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:24am
We are in the process of building a pair of x-tro top boxes right now. We havn't decided yet which subs we would like to use underneat but the Cubo Sub seems to be a strong contender, it is efficient, has a simular footprint and a pair on top of each other has the right height to put the x-tro on.
We play mostly jamaican music, rub-a-dub, bashment, digital, for a inside parties and live shows till 500 people.
are we looking towards the right sub? (i've never heard a cubo)
We are using the recomended x-tro drivers, what 18 inches would be a nice sounding, dynamic match for the x-tro? (we will be using a pkn xp6000 amp to drive the subs)
thanks
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:28am
Why not punishers? Big smile
volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 12:34am
good question, i have never heard them,
but i'm a bit afraid they will give us alot of punch, good for techno, maybe too much for us...
please correct me if i have the wrong idea of the punisher, but i would like to have that extention till 40 hz

Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2011 at 10:43am
punishers work with more than just techno, the details for the punishers say run the high pass filter at 45hz but i run mine down to 40hz all the time, they have plenty of volume if you use the beastly ciare driver it is designed for.

If your building the xtro, then the punisher is the way forward, compact, loud, sounds good, same dimensions (standing up) as the xtro, although you will probably want to build 4 punishers to 2 xtros to get the real effect, single punishers are not that great. Best to have a pair a side at least.
volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 12:28pm
Ok i understand the pro argument for the punisher which are very valid.

But could you guys shed some light why shouldn't built the Cubo Sub its also loud (TH) and compact (practically the same size as the punisher) but most important it is easier to build (so i can build it myself without paying a carpenter) with a larger choice of drivers to load them.
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 3:10pm
i cant comment on why you should use the punisher instead of a cubo because i have never listened to a cubo.
For a start the Cubo 18 takes an 18" driver which is likely to cost more than a 12" ciare driver (£160 brand new)

Yes the cubo will be easier to biuld but i suppose it depends on what you want to do with the system, you say your going to be using it indoors the most. I would be more inclined to use the Cubo because ive seen people say that TH cabs indoors are good and that long throat folded horns, like a punisher, cannot stretch their legs until you get outside. Then again, ive heard punishers inside and they really shake the room too...

If you don't fancy having a go at the punishers then get on with the Cubo, if it was me i would go for the challenge!Wink

Only down side to punishers i think is the fact that Ciare is an italian company and everything is done tomorow....not today, so getting hold of drivers can be a problem sometimes.

Edited by Tocooltom - 14 December 2011 at 3:11pm
volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 3:34pm
Yeah i guess i'll build one Cubo Sub to test.
It surprises me that there is not a lot of information or talk about the cubo... Other TH plans are hot over here but the cubo is hardly mentioned, i wonder why...
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2011 at 3:40pm
Im sure there will be much more information on the other forums, they do not seem too popular on here but that's probably because many SP members are into big thumping folded horns/scoops instead of tapped horns.

Try freespeakerplans.com for info on the cubo, i haven't checked myself but they have the plans on there so i assume someone has built them and left some information!!

Edited by Tocooltom - 14 December 2011 at 3:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply