Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo vs Cubo extended

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubo vs Cubo extended
    Posted: 17 April 2018 at 2:49pm
Is anyone able to give me some info on what the difference is between the regular and extended version of the Cubo 18?

I can't seem to find much online. Is there much of a difference? And, if you mixed them - say, 2 regular one side, 2 extended the other - would that be much of a problem?

Thank you. 

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 2:52pm
Few Hz extra extension in exchange for a loss of output sensitivty. Drivers will reach xmax a bit faster too. You shouldn't mix them, but it won't totally ruin the sound if you do. Definitely don't mix them unless you absolutely have to. If you have some of one kind and are looking to buy/build more, buy or build more of the same.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 3:00pm
Thanks, Hemisphere. 

Do you have a preference of the two boxes? 
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 3:04pm
I would go with Cubo18.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 3:23pm
Or, if you haven't already, you might want to have a look at the Cubo Sub. 
Down with signatures!
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Jasonstry Jasonstry wrote:

Or, if you haven't already, you might want to have a look at the Cubo Sub. 

Second that. Cubo sub will certainly drop lower than cubo 18 or cubo 18 extended. Bit bigger and heavier but will still go upstairs and round corners with two+ people. I have four and I rarely get to use all of them as they can do damage loaded with 18nlw9000
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 3:54pm
It's a common misconception that the Cubo Extended main feature is to give extra low end extension of some sort. Although Extended might give a few Hz more low end extension for some drivers, the overall averaged SPL remains the same.

Cubo Standard has the largest rear chamber, with the shortest horn path length. Cubo Extended trades some of that rear chamber volume for extra horn length. The extra horn length tunes the Cubo lower but then again, the loss of rear chamber volume increases the tuning. So the overall tuning doesn't really change, what changes is the flatness of the frequency response.

Which one is best for you depends on the drivers used. If you have drivers with a high Qts and/ or Vas, so typically (American reflex) drivers that you would use in a large (chamber) reflex cabinet, Cubo Standard suits your driver best. If you have (European reflex) drivers  that you would use in a medium sized reflex or some sort of horn, Cubo Extended is the best option.

As a rule of thumb, if:

Qts x Vas > 120, Cubo Standard
Qts x Vas = 100 - 120, Cubo Extended or Standard
Qts x Vas < 100, Cubo Extended

Only for Cubo 15:

Qts x Vas < 50; Cubo 15 Extra Extended

Best regards Johan
Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 4:21pm
Thanks for the responses, all. Really appreciate it. 

I haven't seen the cubo sub in action. It's definitely a box i'd be interested in, but, the thing is, i've got 2 cubo18 and so it feels appropriate to continue with this box if i want 4, rather than starting over. 

I'm using PD 1852 drivers at the moment. 

I dont know if this is a best driver for the box though. THey came with the boxes which we acquired second hand. 

Looking at 1852 specs: QTS 0.33 x VAS 120.38 = 39.7254

So that means these drivers suit the extended version best. Have i got that right? 

Post Reply Post Reply