Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Subwoofer For Robot!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Subwoofer For Robot!
    Posted: 12 March 2023 at 10:00am
Hi,
I am building a large robot with a built in PA! 

I'm exploring the possibility of building a custom enclosure for the sub woofers. The reason being; I only have a specific sized space in which to fit the sub woofers. I was wondering if anyone could give some advice as to existing designs that could either fit the space or be adapted to fit by tweaking the dimensions but keeping same volume and port size.
The available space is also a slightly odd shape. I have about 500 to 600mm width to play with. 

I've had a little play in WINISD but to my mind it would make more sense to adapt an existing design rather than start from scratch?

KTJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 10:50pm
Currently trying to unfold a folded horn:

KTJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2023 at 8:10pm
Looks like this is rather unpopular topic! But here's what I came up with:
Bass reflex
123l  - the max I could fit in the space
two slot ports tuned to about 40Hz

Edited by KTJames - 04 April 2023 at 8:12pm
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 8:06am
I don't think it's about not being popular, but more that you are quite ahead of the curve. I'm really looking forward to updates on this beat but don't have anything to add that makes any sense. 
KTJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 8:24am
Thanks for the reply! 

Here is the sub in position over the wheel:

KTJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 8:29am
And the port air velocity as calculated in WinISD. Peaks about 24m/s - I'm hoping the flared port ends will prevent any nasty noises.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 8:47am
are you making it from wood? some of those cuts are at difficult angles to cut.

will there be an access door so you can remove the driver?

cool project. as above.. not got much to add.
KTJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 9:16am
Yes, the plan is 18mm ply for panels in the red image. Some annoying angles to lots of the boards but some careful table saw angle work should cover it. I'll rework the boards to end up with as many square ends as I can. Currently it's just the correct volume/shape/tuning. At least I hope so!

The top is planned to be removable to allow the driver to be removed. Not quite finished that part of the design yet. 

The grey image above includes extra shapes to blend it into the robot. These will be 3D printed or formed in coated foam. 
KTJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 6:49pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 11:55pm
Hi, can you tell us more about the project?

Does the robot just move and make bass noise, or is there more to it?
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
KTJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 10:44pm
There is a bit more to it!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsEq4UtKutn/

I'll write a bit more explanation when I get some time...
 Post Reply Post Reply