Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cut off point for punishers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cut off point for punishers
    Posted: 15 September 2011 at 1:05pm
how low could i expect to run a stack of 4 to 6 single punishers .. what could i cut them out at .. cheers ..  
myser
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 1:15pm
AFAIK, its 48hz for singles down to 42hz for stacks 4+

24db L/R slope

I prefer to cut mine slightly lower though - as am rarely able to give them full throttle. A little boost at 40hz can be fun too..
myser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 8:01pm
Sounds good
myser
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2011 at 11:33am
try 30 to 70 hz and the 24db LR slope and turn them up to 1kw each...feel the power!
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2011 at 12:32pm
30??

Have you done this for any extended periods of time at power?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2011 at 12:50pm
yeah i wouldn't run them that low (not that i've ever even seen a punisher, just based on all people have said here)
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2011 at 2:28pm
personaly i have done that with just 1 cab for a few hours at 1kw, not sure if that was the exact amount of power going into the drivers but it must have been close, the driver seemed to be fine, still played the same as it did when i turned it on till i turned it off.

Ive seen them used at 30 to 60hz and full power for longer than 6 hours and no problem at all.

I think people might not like the sound of running puns down to 30 but it can be done, quote from walt regarding punisher response:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/punisher-responce_topic2583.html

Contour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options
  Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
  Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 3:20pm

Hello,

I assume you use some sort of crossover/processor to drive the amps with the sub signal. Most processors offer an ajustable lowcut. The lowcut depends on the number of cabinets and the placement (outdoors, indoor, cornerloaded) I would start with 40Hz and the boost at 45Hz for two punishers a side. From there you can experiment which sounds the best in your ears. Some music doesn't require 40Hz in that case you might find a 48Hz lowcut gives you most power.

I use a Punisher in my small room as cornerloaded hifi subhorn. I don't use much power, 10W is enough to shake the room. I have used a 8dB boost at 30Hz. What I am trying to say is that the optimal settings depend strongly on the way of using them.

Best regards,

Walt

tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2011 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Tocooltom Tocooltom wrote:

try 30 to 70 hz and the 24db LR slope and turn them up to 1kw each...feel the power!

and watch them fry.

Ask someone who has experience running them, You might get away with 1k / 30Hz - but you can get with robbing banks if your lucky.

I'd limit to 800watts and 40- 45Hz personally.Having repaired maybe 20 odd punishers in 3 years.

One thing which someone might like to experiment with - many newer designed horns using super high excursion drivers set low high pass of 20Hz and the like with a shallow filter. The thinking being you have already reached xmax at 35Hz so why not take advantage of the cooling generated from lower frequencies. I'm not sure hwat the driver is doing below 40Hz, and with such a small chamber perhaps heat build up is too much of a problem... just a thought for someone with spare cash.

Tom

Edited by tomschute - 26 October 2011 at 2:21pm
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2011 at 2:38pm
Im just going off advice someone has given me, as well as testing it with one of my own for a few hours... but if you know otherwise then thats fair enough.

At the end of the day it comes down to experience and your right to say that, but when 2 peoples experiences have completely different outcomes....there could be a number of reasons why said driver did/didnt burn out etc etc...

I dont want to argue over it but whos advice do you take when you are given 2 completely different points of view from 2 people who both know a lot more than i do?

One says its going to burn out, the other says no? i dont want to burn my kit out but i want to get the most from it...

EDIT: just spoke to my friend again just to make sure i wasnt talking total sh*t and i had the numbers slightly wrong, he runs them at 30 to 66hz on a 12db LR slope, hanging 4 puns from 5kw a channel. Best suited to drum and bass apparently.

Anyway, experiment and find what is best for you.

Edited by Tocooltom - 26 October 2011 at 5:35pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2011 at 6:27pm
the quote above from walt says to high pass at 40hz... i would go with that advice. the other situation he describes is running it at very low power / volume in a domestic situation.. in this circumstance where you know the driver won't get battered you can relax with the high pass... but remember you're going to hammer yours..
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2011 at 1:08pm
@ tocooltom

You are right it is tricky and with these things it all comes down to confidence and first hand experience ultimately. With all these things I always look at who i'm taking advice from, not so much the advice they give if you see what I mean.

I know a couple of hire crews using Punishers week in week out. And they are busy running a successful business. I listen to them when they say don't put 1k into the bin.

Tom
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
 Post Reply Post Reply