Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daily Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daily Discussion Thread
    Posted: 26 February 2021 at 7:14am
Just throwing this idea out there, but having a daily discussion thread similar to what reddit does would be a highly useful resource to have available, as well as cutting down on the amount threads with quick/simple questions.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 9:22am
Maybe 12 years ago when this page was busy... but now?

Maybe not so...…

If you cut down on the number of threads available right now, what do you expect there to be left?

Edited by Noyzmunky - 26 February 2021 at 9:24am
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 9:24am
Originally posted by rwnmc rwnmc wrote:

Just throwing this idea out there, but having a daily discussion thread similar to what reddit does would be a highly useful resource to have available, as well as cutting down on the amount threads with quick/simple questions.

Nice idea 👊

Can’t wait for kids to go back to school, my job list at work is getting longer and longer. 24/7 Daddy day care isn’t what it’s cracked up to be.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 10:06am
am i the only person who finds reddit confusing to read? i'd like to be able to open any thread "flat" and just read all comments and replies instead of having to click into each individual comment etc.

link me to an example reddit thread so i can see what you mean though, i'm curious.
shashnatiq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 11:01am
I don't want to create a separate thread for this because I think it's probably a really dumb question, but I am looking that the t.amp by thomann tsa 4-300
And there is only a figure given for 8 ohm bridged. 

My question is this - can I power a 4 ohm load if it does not draw more than what it's rated for at 8 ohms?
More specifically I would like to power 4 the box 15LB100-8W drivers, again by thomann, connect in parallel 2 per bridged channel. 
Or would  I be better off just running them at 8 ohm one to each channel, considering the power rating is likely overestimated on both the driver and amplifier, and also that even if they are accurate 100W less than what it's rated at should not be an audible difference, and should not cause any issues if I don't drive the amplifier into clipping?

Sorry if this is a dumb quesiton or I'm not understanding this correctly, I am building my first system right now and it's time to shop for amplifiers on a very tight budget.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 11:15am
@shashnatiq
When bridgining 2 amp channels, each channel "sees" a load of hal the impedance.
So when you bridge 2 channels on a 8 ohm cab, then each channel will work in 4 ohms.
When you bridge 2 channels on a 4 ohm cab, then each channel will work in 2 ohms.
The t amps do not support 2 ohms loads, so in the same logic that they won't give power figures for 2 ohms, they don't give power figures for 4 ohms bridge, simply because the amp won't support that.
So it answers your questions easily, you can't bridge 4 ohms, then go for one driver per channel.
If that doesn't suit your needs, change the amp (or buy one more of the same and use'em in 8 ohms bridge)
By reading the specs of the amp and the stated 500W rms power handling of the drivers, doing one loudspeaker per channel should work,but you may find that the amp doesn't fully exploits the loudspeakers as they wertainly will be underpowered.
If you find yourself in the situation where the amp is at its max (on the verge of clipping) and you still expect more spl out of your drivers, then upgrade the amp.

Rule of thumb is chose an amp that is able to deliver 2x the RMS power of the drivers (so that would be a 4x1000W in 8 ohms, or 2x2000 in 4 ohms) then limit appropriatly. Then the amplifier will not be the limiting factor, but the loudpseker. Proper (rms and peak) limiting ensure you don't give too much pwer to the driver.

That being said everything is a matter of compromise, so if you're happy with the spl given by the drivers on that amp then no need to go bigger.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 11:38am
I dislike this idea for a few reasons

I kind of like the way threads on this forum start with simple questions and evolve in to debate that drifts completely off topic but still related to speakers. Its almost like a real life conversation in that respect. I think a 'simple questions, simple answers' thread would deter this kind of posting. 

This forum also works as a sort of encyclopaedia if you know how to search it using google. Cramming everything in to one thread would ruin this. 

This forum doesn't have an issue with there being too many threads, I don't think anyone here is overwhelmed by all the new topics. 

Lastly we need some filler to push all the dumb threads about Brexit/Covid out of view so they are forgotten about. 

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

Lastly we need some filler to push all the dumb threads about Brexit/Covid out of view so they are forgotten about. 

you only have to read about it - some of us are trapped on this stupid island LOL
shashnatiq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 1:42pm
@JBK, thanks for the reply!!

However, the drivers will be 2 pairs of 2, each connected in parallel. 
So it would be two 4 ohm loads for each of the bridged channels, not 2 ohm. In that case should It work?

Edited by shashnatiq - 26 February 2021 at 1:43pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 1:59pm
Two 8 ohm drivers in parallel creates one 4 ohm load, and this amp is not capable of driving 4 ohm loads when bridged - don't do it.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by shashnatiq shashnatiq wrote:

@JBK, thanks for the reply!!

However, the drivers will be 2 pairs of 2, each connected in parallel. 
So it would be two 4 ohm loads for each of the bridged channels, not 2 ohm. In that case should It work?

The short answer is no. What JBK is saying, rightly, is that running 4 ohm load in bridge mode is effectively the same as running at 2 ohms per channel across the 2 channels that make up the bridge. So you would need a 2 ohm ready amplifier to do that.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 2:24pm
Someone mentioned brexit heeheh, just got an order cancelled for a hefty sale on reverb cause of customs cost concerns from the buyer ahhh.
Also i need to buy something also quite pricey from the UK in the following weeks , ahhh why didnt you stay for a few more months atleast!!
Are there any talks of removing this crap in the future or is it set in stone?

edit
also i think a daily thread is a nice way to get the convos going and liven up the forum a bit ...

Edited by Sypa - 26 February 2021 at 2:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>